Reference Threshold VS True Threshold

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is an excellent demo of the differences. But, have you tried gold 2 on a salt beach? The few times I tried in dry sand the tones were unmanageable. Did not try in wet. I will try it again - if gold 2 can be tamed I see the advantage with true threshold is obvious. Thanks!

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your video? I can tell you that bench air testing is not a certain reality in nature. This guy has a 6" coil on?? REALLY?

So on the beach where I hunt gold mode is worthless. It is so unstable by the time it was de-tuned I might as well be using a detector from Walmart.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is this your video? I can tell you that bench air testing is not a certain reality in nature. This guy has a 6" coil on?? REALLY?

So on the beach where I hunt gold mode is worthless. It is so unstable by the time it was de-tuned I might as well be using a detector from Walmart.

What I thought.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll notice in the video that I am in Gold2 mode and that I also make comment on the general inaccuracies of air testing. The video is primarily demonstrating the difference between two threshold options on the Eq 800. Yes, as with any multi frequency detector, it is going to be more unstable in saltwater environments which is why I generally wouldn't be leaving my excal at home when hunting those conditions. But in a freshwater environment the true threshold option in gold mode can provide a very distinct advantage. as for the 6" coil, for all of the same reasons why I generally get better depth and performance from the 8" on my excal then I do with the larger coils, and especially true in saltwater environments. The smaller coils provide for a smaller search field which means the processor isn't laboring as hard, which means I can typically run at a higher sensitivity setting with greater stability. You just can't cover as much surface area which translates into slower hunting. That larger coil is great for better surface coverage but when sensitivity has to be reduced in this larger search field it's not always the best option for the best depth and sensitivity. Just the nature of the beast......

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop thanks for sharing your research well said

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any particular reason you used Gold 2 instead of Gold 1?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any particular reason you used Gold 2 instead of Gold 1?

Not really, other then Gold 2 having a slower default recovery speed, which is what I wanted to start with during the initial mode selection process.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious. You were in 50 tone in both modes correct? How come the tone changed with depth in gold mode?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious. You were in 50 tone in both modes correct? How come the tone changed with depth in gold mode?

Gold modes use VCO where the tone gets higher in pitch the closer you get to the target......similar to some pin point features on many machines.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You probably won't like the VCO that cudamark is referencing but it can provide you with some additional, but limited, information once you get familiar with it. Pitch/volume plus how wide or narrow the return is can also offer clues as to how deep or how large a target might be. Per example, a high narrow return is generally a small shallow target, whereas a broader fainter return is likely to be a larger and deeper target, etc. it just takes some getting use to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread