Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the bahamas !! Wow !! What a trip we had. I spent 3 weeks fishing tuna, wahoo, and blue marlin !! It was go go go with the fishing and I barley had time to break out the metaldetector. But when I did it was an unbelievable ride !! Im still getting my voice back and licking my wounds. When you find a treasure spill like the one I found you hoot and holler until your voice is gone !! You guys will have to grit your teeth and get through this post it'll probably take a page to explain it all. There's alot to cover. Ill dive right in to the good stuff that came from the far out islands. Here we go !!

Boom baby Portuguese gold, and spanish silver !!
20210524_232612.jpg
20210524_230534.jpg
20210524_230551.jpg
A beautiful 1747 gold reis coin from Brazil, a badly eaten up spanish piece of eight, a 1773or5 big nose piece of eight, and a gorgeous filigree wire silver ring. All these pieces were found in 2 separate 2 hour hunts at low tide on the same beach. My original thinking from talking with locals is that a pirate long boat was dashed to pieces on this incredible shoreline trying to land there treasure. The mix of spanish and Portuguese coinage seems odd but much more research and exploration of this site is needed, and the who, what, and when of this find is driving me nuts with the research....there are some records that make some sense, but I don't want to speculate yet until I hit the books some more.

20210524_202538.jpg

I've dug some great iron in the bahamas and keys but this 20 inch pirate long knife has to be one of my favorites....when I hold this artifact in my hands I can feel my pirate blood boiling to life...it evokes as much emotion as the gold coin does !!

20210524_202530.jpg

I was able to gather up pounds of seaglass, and handfuls of great colorful potsherds for my art projects !!

20210524_202312.jpg

Im an opertunist, and if the detector is not producing I'll lay it aside and start to mudlarking for potsherds and pipe stems !!

I was able to pull a silver or pewter teapot lid while mud larcking an old dump site for potsherds.

20210524_224727.jpg

there was plenty of great ships spikes and copper alloy fasteners along with the ever present lead....the plastic of the olden days !! I got a nice ginger beer on one of my hunts and was happy about it as I never found a whole one before. Other finds included some great flat buttons including a spencers treble gilt backmarck with a greek key motiff

20210520_160258.jpg

At one point my best coin was an 1826 english/bahamian penny

20210520_182414.jpg

a pretty satisfying find...until you hit the silver and gold, and gold fever takes over !! There were harmonica reeds and another type of unidentified musical instrument reed. Im still cleaning and gathering my finds together and I've got plenty of shells too. Found a goats horn, and a boars tusk also while beachcombing for ambergris. Ill post some more pics after work...im currently putting the boat back together after a brutal 14 hour run home in heavy seas.....im battered and beaten but what a trip !! I left all my treasure gear with a fellow t-net member, including my equinox 600, and a nice map with some sites to explore...it was the least I could do for my fellow islander who helped me with transportation and and gave me the best island hospitality that could ever be expected !! I hope to return that island hospitality one day when he visits me in the keys. Ive been more than blessed to grow up both in the bahamas and keys and know many island secerets....hope I'm doing my grandpa justice. He was dual citizen and made sure I respected my bahamian heritage and conch/keys life. Wrecking is alive and well within me and beach combing is in my blood !! Woooo hoooo !! Off to work now....more to come later. Maybe my bahamian friend will make a guest appearance on this thread when he sees it....I hope so !!

20210524_202255.jpg

Oh ya....we caught fish too !!

20210518_102422.jpg 20210518_102345.jpg
IMG_2578.jpeg.jpg
Cheers folks hope you enjoy and are inspired !! Wooo hoooo !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 30

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 99.9 percent sure these coins are not washing in....they are washing out. So if they washed in that would have been 250+ years ago on a hurricane surge !! Once there in person it quickly becomes apparent that no coin can be washed up a vertical rock ledge of 6 -10 ft....so they are washing out....and may have trickled over the ledge.

That ledge sounds like an amazing place to dive. Should be a narrow line of goodies at the base.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a huge dream trip. The gold coin is off the charts but the totality of your shared trip just makes me grin. Congrats to you my friend. Well deserved banner .

You definitely have the starting point for you next adventure. You know full well there are more...

Thank you garscale....it was amazing. Let's just say it'll take some calm weather, but there should be some good opportunities just over the ledge. And yes other coins were found in the past....always check out the rumors...never know when a rumor will become a reality !!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shiny...Treasure,,,Arghh. Congrats! That coin is way bigger in the hand. Nice!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Irish...the spot that this was found is one of the most stunning beaches I've ever stepped foot on...huge sand dunes 30 foot high, massive rock out crops with huge scattered boulders, violent 8-10 foot surf smashing everything in its path, scorching hot tropical sun. I can't imagine the poor souls who had to try and survive on this lonely stretch of sand and rock 274 years ago.....survival trumps treasure by about day 3 without water....leave it where it lay and focus on survival is what I think happened !!

Well said! Sounds like a place I treasure hunted in my dream. LOL. To find a coin like that is surely a find of a lifetime! Congrats to you!!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart - Stunning! Inspired is an understatement. I could never even dream of such a find! Wonderful story and details you provided... Well deserved banner - AGAIN!!!

BTW I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to all the posts. It speaks volumes about you as a person. Hope to meet you some time. After 16 months of 'house prison', I'm ready to travel and get out among the hoi polloi again.

Love to help you with research as I'm pretty decent with a keyboard. Loop me in if the idea interests you. You know I enjoy "doing the leg work."

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...and bottles...there must be some great bottles.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I can't load pics....upload of file failed....hope it works out later. I like to keep some pics coming to keep the thread spicy !! Ill keep trying.

Your pics are probably too big for the forum. I assume you are using your phone. I edit mine and crop them down as much as I can. Hopefully that will work because it is the easiest way to explain.

Congratulations on your Banner!
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210526_202842.jpg
20210526_182354.jpg
Sailors/pirate long knife. These are shorter than a cutlass, and longer than a normal knife. They would have been carried by wreckers and pirates, and to an extent by common sailors on merchant vessels. Bahamian and keys conchs call any large knife a cutass, a *******ization of the word cutlass. Still today my bahamian friends call a large knife or machete a cutass !!

Attachments

• 20210526_154407.jpg
    20210526_154407.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shiny...Treasure,,,Arghh. Congrats! That coin is way bigger in the hand. Nice!

The full johana is double that size....maybe next time we can get a full size johana !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said! Sounds like a place I treasure hunted in my dream. LOL. To find a coin like that is surely a find of a lifetime! Congrats to you!!

Woooo hoooo !!:occasion14:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goitta get that in the zap tank to keep it alive for many more years.....not the fish but the pirate's machete:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart - Stunning! Inspired is an understatement. I could never even dream of such a find! Wonderful story and details you provided... Well deserved banner - AGAIN!!!

BTW I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to all the posts. It speaks volumes about you as a person. Hope to meet you some time. After 16 months of 'house prison', I'm ready to travel and get out among the hoi polloi again.

Love to help you with research as I'm pretty decent with a keyboard. Loop me in if the idea interests you. You know I enjoy "doing the leg work."

Matt thanks buddy....there may be a need for your expertise in identifying objects...between ARC and yourself we should be able to identify anything that pops up. Hope you get out and about this warm season...happy hunting !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and bottles...there must be some great bottles.

Unclemac....it was blowing so hard the water was murky for my normal bottle hunts. Ill show you guys how I clue into sites though....you'll appreciate this hang on a minute.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210526_205806.jpg 20210526_205822.jpg 20210526_205843.jpg 20210526_205835.jpg 20210526_205855.jpg
When the shallow water has these types of bottle tops....well...you should turn on the machine. When you see the little open pontils and tops like the last pic....well you should be hopeing for spanish silver !! These are the clues I want to see. Especially the onion bottle tops and open pontil stuff !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread