boater's beaches at big lake

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I along with quite a few detectorists hunt the Corp of Engineers public beaches. So they are well hunted in the summer. Probably at least 2-3 times a week.

I have a pontoon boat and notice that there are lots of very small beaches that only boaters use. They pull their boat up to these smaller secluded beaches for the afternoon. They usually have one to three boaters on the weekend. I have never seen one metal detect these boater's beaches.

Can anyone share their experiences with these type of beaches only accessible by boats?

If you hunt them, is the sand the best place to hunt or knee deep water hunting?

Thanks

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my small boat to pull up to some Chesapeake Bay beaches normally not accessible by land. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything much but trash.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never found gold at the few spots, where boaters party. My Opinion, best chance of finding gold or silver at these spots. Choice the one with the most history and highest traffic, then in the water. Good Luck!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I along with quite a few detectorists hunt the Corp of Engineers public beaches. So they are well hunted in the summer. Probably at least 2-3 times a week.

I have a pontoon boat and notice that there are lots of very small beaches that only boaters use. They pull their boat up to these smaller secluded beaches for the afternoon. They usually have one to three boaters on the weekend. I have never seen one metal detect these boater's beaches.

Can anyone share their experiences with these type of beaches only accessible by boats?

If you hunt them, is the sand the best place to hunt or knee deep water hunting?

Thanks

First, you mentioned "Corp Of Engineers" so just make sure that these other locations are under that same jurisdiction as here in Indiana they frequently aren't. (I use to live on one such large flood control impoundment and these jurisdictions can change from one location to the next.) And I have to agree with OBN, the consistent success is generally going to be in those locations with a long history of use, nearly all of my current hunting locations well away from today's modern and popular attractions. The very best locations present both modern use and that same long history of heavy use as these locations present both recent drop opportunities and old gold/target opportunities. But they are also generally a lot trashier.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a spot in a lake that's only accessible by boat. Lots of folks party there. Its my most productive spot. Try them and see, worse that can happen is nothing there.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt beaches where boats go and find good stuff at those beaches hence the saying Boats, Booze, and Bikinis = lost jewelry and money

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
boater's beaches

I hunt a spot in a lake that's only accessible by boat. Lots of folks party there. Its my most productive spot. Try them and see, worse that can happen is nothing there.

That is probably what I will do. My wife likes to go out on the pontoon boat and pull up to some of the small boater's beaches and get in her super float with her Margarita and just chill. So I will be just enjoying the day and hunting the beach and knee deep water. When we go out I take note of some of these places. Almost every weekend you see 2 -3 boats beached and people enjoying their privacy. Of course I will be hunting M-F after work since the days are long and it only takes us 30 min to get to our marina where our pontoon boat is docked. Then 10-15 minutes or less to many of these small cove beaches.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Party beaches all over Florida, usually at the inlets, hit them all the time. I will monitor the tides and arrive at low tide and detect where the boats would be beached at high, early in the morning before anyone gets there. Lots of bottle tops. Folks getting in and out of their boats dropping stuff all the time. If there are Boaters around you can bet there is a party gathering somewhere. Magnet fishin at the ramps if no one is around. Swimming holes on the rivers where there are monkey swings.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions