Floridas' East coast

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only assume that you're referring to the summer sand build up, which often swallows up heavier targets like gold rings nearly as soon as they are lost?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got friends down there that are finding some gold still
just talked to one yesterday and said he been getting some here and there SE Fla.
friend of his is working spots slow and has a few fine gold chains

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk out onto the wet sand at low tide and it will feel fairly firm, can even be a challenge at times to sink your scoop into it. Now walk out to this same spot at high tide when this sand is saturated with water and you can easily sink your foot several inches deep just using your toes as your digging tool. This is the problem and hidden factor once all of that summer sand invades those east coast beaches, the constant stirring of this sand by the high tide wave action helping those denser targets to sink at an alarming rate.

This is the time of the year to maybe focus your efforts on the high tide waterline region as this is the area of the beach that sheds water more quickly at low tide thus remaining firmer throughout most of the day. When I lived on the east coast I use to parallel hunt this high tide waterline back and forth in the summer months just for this reason. I also spent more time in the dry sand or around those areas where broken and crushed shell accumulated. Another good area are those "steeply cut" low tide troughs and tidal pools when they can be found, the more milder slopes just being too soft to support denser targets. But just about anywhere where a good deal of sand had been removed was always sought.

In the summer months we could easily see several feet of sand building up on the beach and on that line of those shallow sandbars beyond the waterline, the troughs between these bars being bottomless pits of super soft sand. A dense gold ring lost out here piratically requiring a catcher's mitt the moment it fell off of a finger. Dense rings lost out here can quickly sink out of reach in all of this super soft sand. It's frustrating, for sure, soooo many people in the water, so darn alluring, and yet sand that swallows items up so darn quickly. "Looks can be so darn deceiving!"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread