Easy to see coil

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like something to stick to or paint on the Nox coil to make it easier to see in murky water. I tried detecting waist to chest deep on a beach on Nantucket Sound. There was Sea Grass everywhere and sand bottom here and there. Small pieces of who knows what were distributed throughout the entire water area rendering the face mask useless as I could barely see the coil. Before leaving, I hunted knee deep and it was difficult to see the coil over a target. Only got 2 quarters,a sinker and some pull tabs. A different beach next time.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen a few Nox's with yellow painted coils, and one with a brite yellow tape. Even noticed several have the pool noodle on the upper shafts, now that subject has came up ..The water here in the Chesapeake Bay has lass then a foot visibility, so I don't see painting the coil helping. Now winter and early spring, yes. Water can be crystal clear. I guess all of the summer activities stir up the muck and silt.

I've been using the excalibur so many years I just sense or feel the coils position, in fact I hunt with my eyes closed a good bit of the time. Surprised I've not fell a sleep it's so peaceful hunting.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sprayed my coil with white flex seal. It was to seal a suspected leak, but it gave me some visibility in cloudy water. Once the silt is disturbed or in real murky water, it only helps when I lift the coil enough to see where it is. I usually just use my toe to find the coil, then slide the scoop in for the retrieve.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can get some cheapones ... try glow stick

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not really paint Joe its blaze yellow rubber I think made by liquid tape. I have it on mine. But to be honest you may have to do what fishermen do …. Find the right color… white works well and sometimes red.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of good suggestions above. Finding the right color for your environment is always helpful. I experimented a bit and
Here is what has worked well with my Nox in my area. Might be hard to to to but it's actually a bright Neon Chartreuse tape on the coil that's working well for me.
Good luck to everyone. 20210728_181436.jpg

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Blaze Green Plasti-Coat. Did a base coat of white first, then 3 coating of the Blaze Yellow. What's great about it is you can simply peel it off if you don't want it anymore.

Attachments

• Blaze Green Plasti Dip Coil 2.jpg
    Blaze Green Plasti Dip Coil 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 46

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hddeuce03, if it peels off easily, does it also peel off while swinging in the sand and stones?
The flex seal wears off fairly quickly.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hddeuce03, if it peels off easily, does it also peel off while swinging in the sand and stones?
The flex seal wears off fairly quickly.

No, I've had this on for over a year now and many underwater hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread