Nox water ingress update

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recieved a text message from John DeArmitt at Minelab Service in PA that my Nox 800 suffered from water ingress to control pod. They are waiting for a back order from their supplier from another country (hopefully not China). I wonder what percentage of Nox pods suffered the same fate as mine since the pod was under water only on 4 occasions. It certainly says nothing for quality control for a detector that is advertised to be waterproof up to 10 ft. This was 1 year old May 12 2021. It cost me $59.30 including $900.00 insurance to ship it to their Service Center. I will go back in the water with it when I get it back. If the same thing happens again, I will demand my money back. One would think that Minelab would have thoroughly tested this new design for its water tightness before release. I'm hoping the new pod will be an updated version to correct the leakage problem. Has anyone had a pod replacement with good results for in the water detecting? I know Minelab would never refund me $800.00 if it happens again, That's a pipe dream. I'm trying to stay positive.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mixed results for me....I have a dead one to go back, and ill be honest.....I don't even care, or keep track any more. I don't even know if this is the second failure for this unit or not ?? They are like toilet paper for me now !! I have sent units in 3 times, and have #4 here to go back now. I have owned 5 now.....after using 2 of them after being replaced I gave them away in good working order. I now have 2 working ones and 1 dead one. You may ask yourself why would you keep getting a new one when they fail so much....one answer....when they work there the best in my opinion. Both on land and in the water. Each machine has found me banners , and paid for themselves in just a few hunts !!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart has some very valid points. So when the warranty is up, do you want to get another water leaker or go with a different brand? That's all you really need to decide. They are NOT waterproof. They are water resistant. The unit is made in Malaysia, so good luck there with shipping time. The lack of a unit available may be a testimony to summer water failures, maybe. And BTW you are NOT getting your money back from them. Not unless you want to spend $$$ with a class action lawsuit which would not make any sense. Just how it is...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully one day This ongoing problem will be resolved..For most people saving up to purchase one is a major achievement.
Then finally its time to look for gold and it does not function as stated

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Minelab will never change and neither will the Nox. The Excalibur II has been around since 2006, I think.. And the same problems they had early on are the same problems they have now. Poor quality cables..........And I agree with smokeycat, No chance of getting your money back and from what I've heard even some of the Big Name companies will not go up against Minelab for things they have copied. Good Luck and Hope they can get you another soon...

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not blaming you, blaming minelab for calling it "waterproof". Water resistant would be a more appropriate description as in resistant to rain or a accidental quick drop in the shallows while detecting. Since the very first days it came out, people were posting that it wasn't water proof. I took this to heart and never submerged mine, knowing that Minelab was not being honest with their description. I sold it here a few months ago after 3 years of ownership with no problems.

I've said it before, to anyone considering a Minelab EQ, it is NOT a waterproof detector. Know and accept that up front and you'll be quite pleased with the detector.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What GoDeep said. There is no way around the problem and since they sell so well, don't expect any changes from the company.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice. Much appreciated. When I get it back, I think the smart thing to do is DON"T submerge the pod. This detector is a lot of fun to use on dry and wet sand and at parks lighter than my old DFX and technologically superior. I'll use the Dual Field submerged and maybe get enough gold to buy the Excal or the CZ21 problem solved

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan. Almost any machine is ok in water only a few inches deep anyway.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRIEND OF A FRIEND IN fLA. HAD TO SEND 3 BACK WIYH LEAKAGE - ONE HE HAS NOW HAS BEEN FINE

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, it's like the "Gremlins" movie - don't feed after midnight and don't get it wet...we all know they could have done better.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2 nox's only get a damp towel now..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread