Prepare For The Worst - Just Happened Again Here

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prepare for the worst because it's probably coming. Here in Indiana most state beaches are closed to metal detecting during the beach season, this generally between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Not far from me we had one of the last holdouts, that property manager allowing detecting on the beach during the season as long as detectorist didn't crowd beach-goers. Well, this past June all of that came to an end due to the number of complaints from beach-goers that detectorist were getting too close to them as they lay on the their towels. So, the property manager was left with no choice, and I don't blame him.

I just watched several videos on Youtube where detectorist were practically hunting on top of beach-goers along the towel lines and I just shook my head because these detectorist are simply sealing their/our inevitable fate. What are they thinking? Are they thinking at all? I've seen detectorst walk right into a crowded section of water with a heavy metal scoop in their hands, the breakers bouncing that scoop all over the place, past swimmers arms, legs, and even heads. It's only going to take just one injury to shut us down so why take that risk? We are not a huge source of revenue for these beaches, beach-goers and tourist dollars are. It's that simple. So why make ourselves an unwelcome pain?

Personally, I can see why we are losing access and I honestly can?t blame the various authorities for installing metal detecting restrictions. The sad part, I'm seeing more and more of these detectorist on the beach with every new season and it's so easy to see where it will all eventually and inevitably lead. Just an FYI for everyone as there is absolutely zero reason to crowd these beach-goers and certainly no good or productive reason. I hate to think, and actually see, that our own actions will end up being our demise but it continues to play out that way, just as it recently did at one of our last holdouts here in my portion of Indiana. That property manager was allowing us all the rope he could possibly allow but no more, it's over now. He had to finally shut it all down simply due to a few detectorist who simply didn't care. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Labour Day September 6-Memorial Day Monday May 30
That seems like a strange time
:laughing7:

Right, but it's only allowed during the off-season, basically after the park & beach have officially closed down for the winter. You should see the line of detectorist waiting to hit the beach after mid-night on that first open day....:laughing7: And the sad part for most of them, those beaches have been getting night-hawked all summer so very little left anyway. AND, many of these parks have seasonal campers who routinely detect after daily hours in the summer. So just not a whole lot left by the time labor day is over. And last, but not least, anything that is found is "suppose to be" turned into the park office to allow for a period of owner claims, only if those items are not claimed after a certain period of time are they returned to the finder. But rarely is anything turned into the park office.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes that is what i usely did got their before sunup and out by 10 or 11 am.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were having issues with old timer locals that feel they have more rights than out siders using "their" beach
couple of guys were just plowing thru swimmers - clunked a few kids in the head with scoops
I witnessed one guy telling people to watch out for him and get out of his way
I will hit 75% at sunrise 25% ar sunset - usually
if I hit a day time low - I will stay away from people - I wear mask and snorkel and stay low in the water
and find low traffic area or go out deeper
most people dont know what Im doing till i head out
I love rainy days on Fla. trips and in Carrib. as long as waters are warm - I have whole beach to myself
of course my Gf doesnt like this - she's there for the sun

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to hunt away from the people when you can
attachment.php

Attachments

• pic161649.jpg
    pic161649.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 90

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make your sunrise and sunset hunts more exciting listen to a CD soundtrack of the original "Jaws" movie before entering the water lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread