Prepare For The Worst - Just Happened Again Here

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prepare for the worst because it's probably coming. Here in Indiana most state beaches are closed to metal detecting during the beach season, this generally between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Not far from me we had one of the last holdouts, that property manager allowing detecting on the beach during the season as long as detectorist didn't crowd beach-goers. Well, this past June all of that came to an end due to the number of complaints from beach-goers that detectorist were getting too close to them as they lay on the their towels. So, the property manager was left with no choice, and I don't blame him.

I just watched several videos on Youtube where detectorist were practically hunting on top of beach-goers along the towel lines and I just shook my head because these detectorist are simply sealing their/our inevitable fate. What are they thinking? Are they thinking at all? I've seen detectorst walk right into a crowded section of water with a heavy metal scoop in their hands, the breakers bouncing that scoop all over the place, past swimmers arms, legs, and even heads. It's only going to take just one injury to shut us down so why take that risk? We are not a huge source of revenue for these beaches, beach-goers and tourist dollars are. It's that simple. So why make ourselves an unwelcome pain?

Personally, I can see why we are losing access and I honestly can?t blame the various authorities for installing metal detecting restrictions. The sad part, I'm seeing more and more of these detectorist on the beach with every new season and it's so easy to see where it will all eventually and inevitably lead. Just an FYI for everyone as there is absolutely zero reason to crowd these beach-goers and certainly no good or productive reason. I hate to think, and actually see, that our own actions will end up being our demise but it continues to play out that way, just as it recently did at one of our last holdouts here in my portion of Indiana. That property manager was allowing us all the rope he could possibly allow but no more, it's over now. He had to finally shut it all down simply due to a few detectorist who simply didn't care. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this for the full year or seasonal. Here places are close for the summer ( Chesapeake Bay) but open after Labor day. The ocean beaches are open year round but have some restrictions.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this for the full year or seasonal. Here places are close for the summer ( Chesapeake Bay) but open after Labor day. The ocean beaches are open year round but have some restrictions.

We're a bit different in that we don't have oceans, just a small corner of Lake Michigan. So far these seasonal restrictions have, for the most part, been limited to State Park beaches. But the concern is that these restrictions are gradually becoming more widespread, and the reasons why. I just don't understand why detectorist have to keep pressing that envelope when the writing is already on the wall as to what the outcome of their actions is going to be?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, our beaches are open year round.......even the State Beaches. In the summer, I can't imagine hunting during the middle of the day anyway. Why not just hunt at night or early morning when the crowds have all gone away? :icon_scratch: You have no traffic problem, no parking problem, no heat stroke risk, nobody to get in your way or bug you with questions.......

CW3

Greenie
Nov 21, 2016
Traverse City,Mi
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, ETRAC, Excaliber II (2), Soverign GT, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When, I dig on my own, i get out by 10:00 am when the people start showing up.

I've been on a couple recovery calls in the afternoon and noticed a couple guys detecting 5 feet from people with a Go pro on the head. I don't think they are really interested in the detecting.

We are still wide open in Michigan till complaints start coming in.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
I get to the beach about a half hour before daylight and am gone by 10 am. I never hunt close to other people and don’t understand why anyone would. To me it’s an invasion of someone’s personal space even though it’s on a public beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunts are based on low tides, doesn't matter to me how many people are there. Florida beaches are not restricted.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're lucky here. Most of our good minus tides are in the middle of the night during the summer time.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a shame, Bigscoop. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble where you are. It sucks when others ruin things for those of us who behave ourselves.

So far, our beaches are open year round.......even the State Beaches. In the summer, I can't imagine hunting during the middle of the day anyway. Why not just hunt at night or early morning when the crowds have all gone away? :icon_scratch: You have no traffic problem, no parking problem, no heat stroke risk, nobody to get in your way or bug you with questions.......

Yeah cudamark, this is what I do at the one place where I detect the beach. My family and I go to Bethany Beach, Delaware each summer and I only go after 5pm when the lifeguards blow their whistles and leave the beach (most people are gone by then anyway). Sometimes I get lucky with the low tide hitting around 6pm or 7pm (or 8 or 9 with a headlamp), but if not...oh well.

I don't see many other detectorists - but I think that's because the detecting is not very good at that beach. The surf is pretty rough and the beach drops off pretty quickly (if anyone is familiar with this beach or Rehoboth and can offer advice on how to detect it effectively I'm all ears!).

- Brian

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunts are based on low tides, doesn't matter to me how many people are there. Florida beaches are not restricted.

It's a question of encroachment. i.e., how close is too close? I agree with CW3 that there should be some respected space. According to the park manager I spoke with up here they have had a couple of complaints that detetorist were intentionally scooping up personal belongings, something I can't imagine really happening but I certainly understand that concern from those beachgoers. So it's not only a safety and encroachment issue but it's also a public perception issue.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a question of encroachment. i.e., how close is too close? I agree with CW3 that there should be some respected space. According to the park manager I spoke with up here they have had a couple of complaints that detetorist were intentionally scooping up personal belongings, something I can't imagine really happening but I certainly understand that concern from those beachgoers. So it's not only a safety and encroachment issue but it's also a public perception issue.

I have dug with in 3 foot of someone in water, 4-5 foot on the beach, don't usually get closer.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug with in 3 foot of someone in water, 4-5 foot on the beach, don't usually get closer.

I use about those same guidelines. If someone is standing in water/beach they usually give me a little space if I go to dig.

If people are sitting in the water usually the waves will move those bowing pins soon enough if I need to get into a spot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use about those same guidelines. If someone is standing in water/beach they usually give me a little space if I go to dig.

If people are sitting in the water usually the waves will move those bowing pins soon enough if I need to get into a spot.

Some people think we should surrender the beach to other beach goers and only hunt in off hours, I dont feel that way. I hunt when I want, based on tides and my schedule. We have as much right to be there as anyone, at least in Florida as our beaches belong to citizens..

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the alert....AND, the reality check...!
Altho it doesn't seem to be a problem where I live and play,
society is made up of all sorts, and all it takes is one or more bad apples, to ruin it for the rest of us...!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?m glad it is not an issue on LI, I would have serious mental health issues if they closed the beach to detecting in the summer!! Beaches, where I am, are not open for night detecting. That must be fun

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?m glad it is not an issue on LI, I would have serious mental health issues if they closed the beach to detecting in the summer!! Beaches, where I am, are not open for night detecting. That must be fun

Some of our beaches claim to have a curfew too, but, I've never been chased off a beach at night by anyone in authority. Now the parking lots are a different story. Just about all of them are closed in the middle of the night. Both the curfew and closed lots are mainly to keep the bums from camping out there, not to prevent us "treasure/trash finders" from cleaning out the beach. All the lifeguard services, police, and beach goers appreciate us removing metal junk from the beach. I always keep a few sharp and/or rusty jagged pieces of metal in my pouch to show anyone who asks what I'm finding. They usually get a sobering look on their face when they're walking in the sand with bare feet!

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
So far so good in south Florida. However the pickings are not so good

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think we should surrender the beach to other beach goers and only hunt in off hours, I dont feel that way. I hunt when I want, based on tides and my schedule. We have as much right to be there as anyone, at least in Florida as our beaches belong to citizens..

You must have misread the post. It's not an issue of having the right to be there, or surrendering the beach to other beach-goers. It's all explained in my prior post if you need to read them again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have misread the post. It's not an issue of having the right to be there, or surrendering the beach to other beach-goers. It's all explained in my prior post if you need to read them again.

Scoop, my comment wasn't directed at you or your post at all, it is in general. There have been several threads in past about not hunting beaches when beach goers are there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia placer, even though many of us agree, you are new here and may not be aware that we only allow political comments in our politics forum which is a sub forum of our Chapter Member forum, CM forum is where members can sell or trade equipment and it is $20.00 a year. If you wish to post political comments you will have to join as CM and can only post political comments in our politics forum.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread