The Tungsten Carbide Mystery?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be an interesting discussion. I just got back from a day of detecting at a Michigan State Park beach, got 2 Triton Tungsten Carbide rings that retail between $250-$350 each. I found so many of these fakers in recent years it's really quite puzzling to me, the notion that people are spending big money on these rings that have no scrap value or even much resale value, if any at all in many cases.

Now I get the whole wear factor, tungsten carbide being extremely hard and durable, but at the same time I can still buy a 10K gold band, something with value, for pretty much the same money that folks are spending on these TC rings with zero precious metal value and little if any resale value. Who can explain this too me? I'm miffed. What am I missing? :dontknow:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN4133_00.jpg
    DSCN4133_00.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Upvote 4

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They fuc.ing drive me crazy !! The guy i deal with dosen't even want them. The triton line is very well put together and make a beautiful product....that being said they are worthless except for the people getting paid to build them....now for the shocker !! My wife somehow talked me into getting one...she has a beautiful white gold and diamond band that cost me dearly !! I guess I shouldn't complain....got 2 beautiful bands I can wear already this summer !! The point is if the tungsten, and stainless had been gold I'd have double my gold count. Hopefully this trend will fade out, and be out of fashion !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210817_101541.jpg my last couple hunts my gold turned to this.....the weight of the tungsten is very comparable to gold and they really feel heavy and expensive.....they're virtually worthless !! And the stainless is really cheap !!

Got a spinner ring in stainless there too....spinner feature adds no scrap value at all !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing....last hunt I had a girl come up to me and say she lost her ring....she was frantic and almost crying....in less than 5 minutes I found her ring where she said it should be....it was stainless ?? Oh well:dontknow::dontknow: at least she left happy and relieved !!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know why we never find tungston carbide ladies wedding rings? Because men are stupid enough to accept these worthless trinkets.

I don't thing men are stupid, stupid, We don't care because it is a symbol of the union. That's all it means to us..be it rubber, junk, a brass washer or gold.

Women relate the quality of the ring to how much we love them.... And it's us trying to make them happy...... lol

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, and I have to say it that way now because it's usually further back then I want to accept, these other metal rings maybe made up 20% of my modern beach ring totals. Now, probably closer to 80%. Another reason why I go after the old gold now. I'd hate to imagine how many grams of gold I'd have recovered if these other metal rings had all been gold, or at least silver. See there, that's how prevalent they are these days, actually has me begging for silver now! :BangHead:

Last edited:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate them! I have found a double handful of tungsten, titanium, and stainless rings over the last few years, and they are an unfortunate reminder that they all should have been gold and would have been if I had found them a couple decades ago. Down with tungsten!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst part about them is get your hand smashed and have to go to the hospital they can't get them off with normal cutters it's easier to cut off the finger than the ring they are to hard of a metal for their cutters.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hate them too but some are beautiful and they're almost indestructible. Some people are allergic to gold or silver so they have to opt for a different metal. Ed

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know why we never find tungston carbide ladies wedding rings? Because men are stupid enough to accept these worthless trinkets.
ive found womans tungstens - titaniums and stanless ones
just not as many as mens

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know about the rest of you, but if I did this only to get gold I would be miserable! I love getting any ring, jewelry, coin or interesting item. Gold is a treat! I often wear some of the jewelry, even if it is not gold or silver, as long as it is pretty. That being said, many of the Tungsten rings are ugly, lol

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don?t know about the rest of you, but if I did this only to get gold I would be miserable! I love getting any ring, jewelry, coin or interesting item. Gold is a treat! I often wear some of the jewelry, even if it is not gold or silver, as long as it is pretty. That being said, many of the Tungsten rings are ugly, lol

I go for the gold, find loads of other interesting and worthy things along the way, but my priority is always gold, platinum, or silver.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a Tungsten ring at a garage sale two years ago for $100. Some people must like them.��*♀️

That right there is the way to sell these rings....garage sale/fleamarket !! Probably get the best money for them that way.....lots of people do like them !! Nice work Claire and a good idea.

L

l2hunt

Man i find way to many of these rings, but i still enjoy the finds really. Many of the TC's i've found are actually very pretty, with bright colors and styles, and they last forever and also cannot get them cut off your fingers if you really had to. That being said, jewelry stores and pawn shops don't want to even buy them from you, so i have a drawer full of them. The prices can be somewhat high on these rings as well, oh well. HH

CW3

Greenie
Nov 21, 2016
Traverse City,Mi
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, ETRAC, Excaliber II (2), Soverign GT, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do a lot of recovery call all summer.

If someone has a gold ring and they are under 30 years old, its a hand me down from grandpa. People under 30 are not paying for gold. They will spend $1000.00 on a phone and not think anything about it.

They also have no clue on how valuable anything is.

A customer of mine got married recently. I asked what you get for a ring? He got 2 tungsten rings off the web for $80.00. He has a spare if he looses his and the wife does not know about the spare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread