Headed to Maine near Bangor. Any laws I need to Know about.

OP
OP
N

nutso

Bar Harbor, Camden, Rockland, Bath and any other beaches I can find. I am having ocean withdrawl symptoms. Need to smell the salt air.

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Nutso,

I understand the need for salt air. Most of my life I have been within miles of the ocean, now if the wind is right, I can smell it from the front door.

Most of that part of MAine is where the "Rock Bound Coast of Maine" came from , that is until you get to the Bath area. Then you have Reid State Park, it's a left before you get to the big bridge going into Bath. There is Popham Beach is a left after you go over the bridge. Better check a map as they have made some road changes. These beaches can keep you busy.
Wayne

OP
OP
N

nutso

I was just searching for info on those two places you mentioned. I see they are both state parks and require a written permit. Have you detected those two parks. The parks near me require that you turn in everthing found, is that the case there too? If anyone else can give some insight to beaches in Maine that don't have restrictions or permits, I'd really appreciate it. I'll have a week to explore the coast.

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Permits are very easy to get..you just ask at the gate. The turning in rule is a given in all the state I know about if that rule was followed to the "T" , no one would have a collection. I frequently ask the park staff if anything has been reported lost those thigs I will gladly return.
I know some of the park staff, I know what happens to those things at the end of the season that aren't claimed. If I (and I have) find a ring that's 50 years old, what is the chance it will get back to the owner. It has a better chance with me, that too has happened..

OP
OP
N

nutso

I'm about two weeks away from my Maine trip. Headed to Short Sands, Wallis Sands and salisbury, then further north. Anyone had any luck on these three beaches.

OP
OP
N

nutso

was also wondering if that recent storm had any effect on the beaches and detecting?

OP
OP
N

nutso

Someone's got to have some info on these beaches. Can anyone give this old dude a tip?

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'( :'( I'm in withdrawal too !!!!! Spend most of my time in Kennebunkport area..........I was doing alright til you guys start talking about it :D My sister-in-law lives in the Saco/ Old Orchard Beach area right on the beach ;D the one and only time I was able to MD all I got was a penny :-\ Soon I'll be there........working on the plans for the trip now.........

S

Steve_Maine

I live in Old Orchard, but have a camp between Bangor and Machias... If you have the time, take a ride down Route 9 towards Calais (The Airline). Just let your mind wander and you'll find plenty to hunt. Also, you could try the banks of the Machias River or head down to Machiasport during low tide if you're into relics. If you get as far as Jonesport, don't turn around in Martha Stewart's driveway because she'll call the cops... :-) If you want to try finding any of the old logger's camps or hunting camps, my only piece of advice is: bring a GPS.

As far as the state parks go, I've never had a problem getting a permit, just ask the ranger. I've gotten a seasonal permit as well for some parks.

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Because of the high water in the lakes I have had to go t the ocean. I found that our recent storms were on the incoming tides and it dragged alot of sand in. Like psgen, I found very little, the best I could do was to give the new CZ20 a work out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions