Cocoa Beach getting worse

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Went out to the beach again today. Cold windy and light drizzle. Dead fish every place.
The smell was so bad the usual bums were not even there.
There were some of the hard-core tourists with even a few in the water.
I aint about to go out there a swim through dead and decaying fish.
I did get wet about up to my ankles, and that was enough for me.
Found the normal clad and one mood ring.
I got home and the cat didn’t even want anything to do with me.
What a mess. I hope that red tide goes away soon.
(Trashdude you were better off at work today)

HH Dale

Upvote 0

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly in the red tide kills the fish. If red tide is an algea bloom isn't good for wildlife?

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
What is a Florida red tide?
A red tide is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga (plant-like organisms). In Florida, the species that causes most red tides is Karenia brevis. This organism produces a toxin that can affect the central nervous system of fish. At high concentrations (called a bloom), the organisms may discolor the water. However, red tides are not always red. They can appear greenish, brownish, and even purple in color. The water can even remain its normal color during a bloom.

For more info
http://research.myfwc.com/support/view_faqs.asp?id=13

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
red tide produces a toxin which burns the eyes and bothers most folks breathing ---- few if any people in their "right" minds would want to go into the water with this stuff --- hey look dad its killing off all the fish , great !!!! son --- come on everybody lets go in for a swim !!! ( duh --- take a hint if its killing the fish --- it can't be good for ya )---

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
I think one of my toe nails just fell off. :-[

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Red Tide is one of a beaches most nastiest, smellyest, burning in nostrils, fish killin' toxin around. >:(

Dirt Fishin' Dale. You almost sound like Snider (toe nail fell off). Do you require medical attention?? Oh I guess it boils down to a lack of finds lately. I must be suffering as well. Sorry. Medic!!!!!. :o

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried moving farther north to hunt? Last time I was in Daytona (last week) it wasn't bad there at all, no dead fish, no real breathing problems that I noticed. I could tell it was there, but nothing really bothering any one. You will know when it's bad, the lifeguards are wearing masks....

Good luck and good hunting...

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
You are all right on the money. I am in Melbourne and have had to stay off the beaches. I can't even get out of the car and walk across a parking lot next to the beach without coughing. By the time I get to the crossover my nose starts burning and my eyes start to water.
What I can't believe is that people will be sitting in their beach chairs and fishermen will be standing on the beach, like nothing is wrong. I guess just like any other allergy some people just don't suffer from it.
I talked to a surfer a couple weeks ago and asked if it bothered him. He said it did when he was on the beach, but once he paddled out past the surf it didn't. He figured the surf was kicking the bloom up in the air and atomizing it.
For a while I would just wait until the wind blew from shore and would get some beach hunting in, but gave up on that. The sand has been so deep that it seems like a lot of targets are buried deep and I wasn't getting enough return for my time. So now I have been doing more land hunting where I am doing somewhat better. I think I will wait it out for a while, until at least we get enough weather to cut some sand, then hope the red tide is over or the wind blows from a favorable direction. HH Highwater

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highwater, I'm on Satellite Beach, and I'm not cutting the grass at my beachside home until the wind starts to blow in a easterly direction, or that red tide drifts further south.
I had to take a drive to your side of town yesterday, just to get a breathing break. Bad part was that I had to deal with all that traffic by the mall on the way to the Olive Garden. OK! Holiday traffic in Melbourne, or Red Tide on the beach side? I will take Red Tide over all those folks on the mainland doing Christmas shopping any day.

Merry Christmas!

Tom

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Me and trashdude always talk about going over to the other side, but haven’t as of yet.
We had some good luck in the south Daytona area once. Might have to give it another try. Thinking of going out again today, yes I am hard core. As long as the dead fish arnt to big to step over, and I can breath, I will be ok.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that seems to be an unusual red tide bloom you guys are having. Here on the west coast of the state, we didn't get a bloom this year. Strangely, the water temps have been averaging 70 at this time when they are normally 58-65 in December in the gulf. The blooms start in the summer here when the temps are 80+. Bad thing is, no one is swimming and the beach goers are wearing parkas and mukluks instead of dropping treasure on the sand.

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Davest:

I went to art school over on the west coast. The water was clearer and the waves smaller.
I remember diving for sharks teeth over there on Venice Beach.
Of course things have probably changed since 1978.
Still like the calm clear water though.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, things have changed a bit since 78. I'm north of Bradenton, like St Petersburg Beach area. Things have changed big time. We don't get the clear water they get in Venice or Sarasota. It's amazing what 50 miles will do. :'(

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the Brevard County beaches yesterday (26 Dec), from Cocoa Beach, down to Melbourne Beach. and the Red Tide seems to have dissipated or moved south towards Indian River County. Other than the rotting fish at Cocoa Beach from the fish kill, the beaches south from the beaches at Patrick down to Melbourne Beach have very few dead fish on the beaches.

Tom

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the report Tom.
I will be heading back out soon.

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Dale,

I got my batteries charged and I'm geared up. DFX has been idle far toooooooo long. :P

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This thread has been an interesting and informative read. We're headed to Ft. Pierce for Feb/March, so hopefully this crud will be gone by then. Leaving Iowa for awhile to get away from coughing & sneezing, not find more of it :-\

Dick

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Dick:
your coming at a good time. The lowest tides are around that time. The red tide should not be a problem then. (I hope) If the wind is blowing off shore its not a problem. I just get tired of tripping over dead fish, but they are cleaning those up now. You can check out the tides at this site.
http://www.softseas.net/Default.aspx

Good luck

Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread