Any underwater detector that doesnt detect hot rocks? Minelab excalibur?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Any underwater detector that doesn't detect hot rocks? Minelab excalibur?

Hey everyone I was wondering if there is any metal detector that doesn't pick up hot rocks? I live in Hawaii and there are tons of these rocks underwater they are a pain in the butt when metal detecting because they give a false tone. Does the minelab Excalibur ignore hot rocks or is the the metal detector curse? I was wondering because my PI picks up these rocks. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Aloha ;D

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Any underwater detector that doesn't detect hot rocks? Minelab excalibur?

Hey makahaman. Check with Finderzzs. He posts here on Beach and Shallow Water. He is in Hawaii also and may be able to give you some tips. I am interested in what he tells you. My son is moving there and I am looking to help him determine which detector would be better for that area.

I am assuming that the hot rocks have iron in them. If that is the case, you would probably do better with an Excalibur or one of the other VLF machines such as the Tesoro line.

Take care and good luck.

Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Any underwater detector that doesn't detect hot rocks? Minelab excalibur?

Da chief is right about the Excal's being the best for ignoring hot rocks, or most of them anyway. Having iron in hot rocks in different amounts could mean some would sound off. Your lava beaches are very mineralized and there isn't to much you can do about that. The new Excal II could be better, but I haven't tried it in Hawaii.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread