Excal 1000 Florida

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Well, it's been 6 weeks since we arrived in Florida and I have hit the beaches around Flagler and combed the shore at Apopka Lake regularly. Have found half a quart ziplock bag of clad, few pieces of jewelry and a frickin' ton of aluminum. There are so many redneck deposits here, it's almost impossible to find the good stuff. You can't go a foot without another beer can overpowering the detector. Lots of iron too and a few pieces or ordinance! Seems there was a lot of bombing practice around the lake during WWII. No old coins yet. Unfortunately most of the springs are state parks and are off limits to detecting and the rest are all surrounded by houses. We are staying in Zellwood right now and will head toward Crystal River in a few weeks. Will try all the Gulf Coast heading northwest.

Question regarding batteries for the Excal. $100 bucks is a ripoff. As most of my detecting is beach, has anyone built a non waterproof pack? Or are they available for purchase? I can only get about 4 to 5 hours on a charge and it's new. Also what setting is your favorite. I am setting my disc at about 13 to full in junk areas.

Terry

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Great idea. When I was at Kellyco yesterday several of the salespeople said someone needs to produce a good video/book on the use of the Excal. My buck's spent on a video as a pix is worth far more in my opinion. I still find that the target is located under the center of the coil though and with careful scanning, you can visualize the size of the target like "beer can!"

Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread