Opinions please

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone given thought to the perils of stingray hits?
I have been thinking of first aid for when you get hit.

I have used the Sawyer "The Extractor" for minor stings and bites. It seems to help.
The adds say that if applied within five minutes, it will help remove some venom.

REF: http://bitesandstingsonline.com/extractor.htm

scroll down to the end of page and hit other info/bites and stings.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Upvote 0

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3....the best thing is to go to the doctor..trying to remove the barb yourself usually causes more damage than the initial strike..plus, it is a puncture wound and extremely hard to clean properly...see the link below for recommended care..Rdi

http://firstaid.webmd.com/stingray_injury_treatment_firstaid.htm

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
A stingray hit will hurt no matter what, and it has a 100% rate of infection. Ive never had one but I saw a family friend with one, really weird how its shaped.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Shuffle your feet when your in the water it reduces your chance big time of getting hit And a pair of dive booties help as well... Guzz1

S

stefen

FloridaBill said:
stefen said:
Pi$$ on it :icon_pirat:

X2 but then again I am a Marine (haha)

There's that old story about the sailor and a marine in a public restroom...

The marine finishes, zips up and begins to walk out when the sailor asked him if he wasn't going to wash his hands...

The marines replied that in the marines they were taught not to pee on their hands :icon_pirat:

Whenever you are slashed by a stingray barb, the quickest way to control the pain is to douse it with your own urine...

Its not a cure, just an interum treatment until you can get treatment...

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I forget where, but a fella wrote an article about the way that stingrays will sometimes follow the disturbed sand and mud looking for food.
He was pushing the scoop into the sand with his foot, when he removed his foot from the scoop and stepped back, guess where he landed?

Diving booties will NOT stop a barb! I think that some research is called for so that we don't have to read about a fellow member being hit.

Carry on.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you get stung, soak it in as hot a water as you can stand. Rinsing out with peroxide and then saline or water will help. Usually no infection follows, but if a piece of the stinger is broken off-not very often, then it could get infected. The use of diving booties dont stop the sting, but they wipe off the poison, making the stung barely anything at all. I have been stung several times. Very painfull! I am a paramedic up at Lido Beach in Sarasota, and see stings almost on a daily basis. We never transport for this, as hot water is about the only thing that works. The lifeguards have buckets and access to hot water. Soak for 3 hours in hot water. The poison last that long. Ice will make it a lot worse!

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey  Ralph  How  about  steel plate  bottoms  on the  dive  Boots???? . :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:  guzz1

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Stevemc hit on the most important part. Hot water.

I stepped on one, after shuffling and being careful. He pulled my leg out from under me and down I went. The pain began almost immediately. Imagine taking a dull knife, cutting your leg open almost up to the knee, pouring in lighter fluid, lighting it, and then adding some salt for good measure.

The only thing that made an immediate difference was hot water (20 minutes later :'(). Get it as hot as you can stand, and get your foot immersed in the water. Get it from the discharge of an outboard motor, beg from someone on the beach in the motel, anywhere, but get your foot in very hot water as soon as you can.

The heat neutralizes the poison. Then go get medical treatment for the barb and infection.

The voice of experience-been there done that...

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
MAkes me not want to go in the water ...Good Lord Guzz

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
HEY DAVE I 'll keep that n mine . Thats ok though. I'll be using a PI for a while even in the wet and dry scarfing up all the gold you other guys left behind, :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: guzz1

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• sting1.jpg
    sting1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 262

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
During season I wear Kelvar flats boots made by Chota

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
What time a year do they swarm the beaches ??? ??? ??? guzz1

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
erikk said:
During season I wear Kelvar flats boots made by Chota

Do you have a web site.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
No but Capt Teds in Port Charlotte has them or they did when I got mine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread