Waterproofing a land unit-does anyone know where I can get it done?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a couple on here who have waterproofed the Sovereign GTs, I bought mine from RJNail, but he sold his only to raise some cash. The last I knew he is not doing it for people who have asked to have theirs done due to the time, and expense, it takes.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Is not an Excal a water proofed Sovereign?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly the Excal is the water version of the Sovereign XS model.

I have a Sovereign GT that has been waterproofed with a WOT coil, and I am anxiously waiting for the Spring Break crowds followed by the summer crowds.

Spring Break crowds are starting to hit the beaches here now, jewelry on, now lather up with that sunscreen and hit the water please. :wink: :thumbsup:

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
seems hard to do,i would buy one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find someone who would waterproof a Sovereign GT it is well worth it. I didn't want to tackle it myself as I just bought my Sovereign GT and it had a 3 yr warranty.

Now I have a Sov GT with a WOT coil, and also a waterproofed Sov GT with WOT.

S

seger98

T-Hunter, could you take any pictures of that water proofing job? I have a GT & wouldn't mind trying it if it's at all possible!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go, if you need different pictures or closer, just let me know or pm me. I am adding stainless steel bracket on each side for an over the shoulder harness to help distribute the weight. Right now it has a bracket on back and hooks to a dive belt.

The housing is an Ikelite case used to waterproof or customized for a camera for underwater photography. It is totally waterproof, have had it underwater several times, but only when swells or waves hit me. It would be real hard to dive with with out weights on it. I don't dive, so no need for me to be concerned about that.

The headphones and coil (WOT) are hard wired into the case. Volume, Sense,Threshold and Disc are extended to outside the case with waterproof stainless steel shaft knobs. the other adjustments you have to open to change. The only other adjustment I would consider extending would most likely be the silent search, as I love that feature on the GT.

It works great in the water, if you like your Sov on the beach, you will love it in the water, if you love it on the beach, ....... hummm, well you may need to "get a room...". :thumbsup:

WaterproofedGT1.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

yippiefrog.gif

S

seger98

Thanks for the pictures T-Hunter, it's a very interesting set up. I'll look around & see what I can come up with, I had thought of just having some chest waders & putting the Digital indicator on my suspenders & tucking the control box down inside, I wasn't planning on diving, just trying to get into alittle deeper water. Thanks again for the pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread