Regarding SNUBA

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone here built a SNUBA unit? I saw one a while back somewhere and it appeared it was an air tank with a long hose and regulator. The tank had several noodles tied to it for flotation. There was about 25 feet of yellow hose and I think some type of additional valve on it.

Anyone here built one and care to share plans? It seems like an ideal unit for shallow water, and eliminates the need for compressor and engine such as the Third Lung type of Hookah.

Any good or bad experiences with such a rig?

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Not much to the unit. It's a regular scuba tank. Take a first stage (connects to the tank) insert a long hose and connect it to the second stage (goes in your mouth) and there you have it.

This system is commonly used by hull cleaning companies. The diver/worker does not have the extra cumbersome weight while cleaning hulls in a crowded marina. Hose management can be an issue as it gets hung on pilings, rudders, props...

In open water... I personally can't see the point. I like the freedom and not being tethered to something.

Attachments

• KL1.jpg
    KL1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 360
  • KL1.jpg
    KL1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
P

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK, I figured it probably was pretty much the way you describe. I had wondered about the long hose as to what type would be most desireable; i.e., something like you would use in the garage for air powered tools etc.
I too like the freedome of movement with the SCUBA gear, but figured for a quick jump and search in shallow waters, the SNUBA might be a good alternative.
I have an extra tank so figured I could put it to good use.
Anybody else have some good info?

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Greetings,You can get the parts you need to adapt a hose to the tank at
Keene Engineering on the web.Don't use rubber hose.Can buy the hose
at Keene,or some use vinyl hose of a cheaper variety.I have built a snuba
cart for the beach,but haven't had a chance to test it.Hopefully as the
summer progresses,and the troughs get deeper,I might get a chance to
test it.Would be nice to be able to fan targets and not have to come up
for air on the deeper ones.Good luck and HH Joe

OP
OP
P

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks a lot for that information. I'll check with Keene, and see if some local tool house has some vinyl air hose.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Photoflash said:
Thanks a lot for that information. I'll check with Keene, and see if some local tool house has some vinyl air hose.

FYI-The second stage pressure hose (between the tank and the regulator, the really long hose) has a working pressure of 125-160 PSI.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Don't like the idea at all. If it were me I'd stick with the true and tested Hookah syatem. Just my thought on the subject.

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions