Bought my first detector!!!

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
After many hours of research for a beach/water detector, my girlfriend and I finally settled on one. We went with the Beach Hunter ID. Were really exited about our purchase and they should be arriving by the end of the week. We made our purchase with Alex from Kellyco, gave us a good deal too. Were hoping to be able to hit the beach on her birthday this weekend.
I'd appreciate any advice or tips for the BH

Rock On,
Hoof Hearted

Upvote 0

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Hoof Hearted,

Congrats on the beach hunter ID. I too bought that same detector through kellyco & enjoyed :wink:

I went on and bought a surfmaster pi and then traded both in by consignment thru kellyco for a minelab excalubur 1000 :wink:

Where are you located??

I live in missouri but my wife and I manage to make it to FL twice a year. Our trip is strickly a treasure hunting trip. I detect beach and the surf. June 24 we are flying into south beach for a week.

Get a good scoop. I perfer a long handle one and I dig with it like a shovel. It keeps ya from bending over :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BHID is a good detector with one major flaw, The battery door. Be very careful when you open it to be sure you get no sand, not a single grain, on the rubber gasket at all. I had a BHID, I liked it, but twice the battery door leaked after replacing the battery, even though I was very careful with it.

I had Whites repair it under warranty, they installed a new battery compartment and battery. I then traded it in on a Sovereign GT, turned out to be the best move I could have done. The Sov GT rocks, a fantastic beach machine. While not waterproof, it is a master on the dry and wet beach at the oceans, and in the shallow water. You have to be careful as it is not waterproof.............but.... :thumbsup:

I found and bought a Sov GT that had been waterproofed and it became my primary water detector, and my Excal 1000 is now my backup water detector. Pushing an Excal to the backup position tells you how good the Sov is at the beach.

OP
OP
Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
-Jones- said:
Hey Hoof Hearted,

Congrats on the beach hunter ID. I too bought that same detector through kellyco & enjoyed :wink:

I went on and bought a surfmaster pi and then traded both in by consignment thru kellyco for a minelab excalubur 1000 :wink:

Where are you located??

I live in missouri but my wife and I manage to make it to FL twice a year. Our trip is strickly a treasure hunting trip. I detect beach and the surf. June 24 we are flying into south beach for a week.

Get a good scoop. I perfer a long handle one and I dig with it like a shovel. It keeps ya from bending over :wink:

Yes a scoop, I was watching a video on YT with the exact shovel you mentioned, I'd like to get that one for sure. I'm located 45min north of Philly. I'm about 1hr20min from just about every beach on the Jersey shoreline. My girl and I plan on being able to go every weekend. My family vacations in Florida as well. I made it down with them last year and I had a blast. We had a cottage in Indian Rocks. Did some snorkeling and scuba, the water was perfect. gl in June

OP
OP
Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
Treasure_Hunter said:
BHID is a good detector with one major flaw, The battery door. Be very careful when you open it to be sure you get no sand, not a single grain, on the rubber gasket at all. I had a BHID, I liked it, but twice the battery door leaked after replacing the battery, even though I was very careful with it.

I had Whites repair it under warranty, they installed a new battery compartment and battery. I then traded it in on a Sovereign GT, turned out to be the best move I could have done. The Sov GT rocks, a fantastic beach machine. While not waterproof, it is a master on the dry and wet beach at the oceans, and in the shallow water. You have to be careful as it is not waterproof.............but.... :thumbsup:

I found and bought a Sov GT that had been waterproofed and it became my primary water detector, and my Excal 1000 is now my backup water detector. Pushing an Excal to the backup position tells you how good the Sov is at the beach.

Wow, I'll make sure I'm more careful than you were, ha jk. That Sov GT looks comfy on the forearm. How did they water proof the thing?

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Hoof Hearted on the new BHID!

It is a great choice for wet sand/surf type hunting. I own a BHID since last summer. It is one of my favorite detectors.

The BHID is easy to use and very accurate. Use it in All Metal mode and use the LED lights to discriminate. A couple of months ago, I was hunting with friends at a beach location with a lot of mineralization. One guy was using a minelab exp2 and was having some trouble with the mineralization. The other guy's machine wouldn't work in that area. I had my BHID and had no problem. The BHID rocks!

Happy hunting!

- Moe

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I have used a Beach Hunter ID for years

NEVER HAD A BATTERY DOOR ISSUE, FOUND LOADS OF LOOT!! FOUND THIS DETECTOR TO BE VERY DEEP AND HITS ON SMALL ITEMS!! GOOD LUCK.SEARCH AROUND HE FORUM YOU'LL FIND SETTING UP TIPS ECT!! BEACH HUNTER ID LOOT!

Attachments

• index (Large).jpg
    index (Large).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 351
  • index (Large) (3).jpg
    index (Large) (3).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 353
  • index (Large).jpg
    index (Large).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 354
  • pic1969 (Large).jpg
    pic1969 (Large).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 339
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the new machine Hoof Hearted, you picked a good first. I have always felt that the BHID is the most underrated of all the true beach machines. My hunting partner has one and like Moe said the LED's are very accurate, if you see any red at all it is usually junk/ iron. The only thing I didn't like was the stock shaft, I would either get a straight shaft or belt/ chest mount. Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing your finds.
Glenn

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey Congrats on the new BH,, Its a great detector .. I had one for while and found some good loot with it , I sold it for know particular reason other I like trying different MDs. kinda like Sandman .. I'm using a Sandshark for the water and a Sov gt for the wet and dry these days .Good luck to ya and happy hunting :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread