Is Anyone Using the Merkitch Money Machine These Days???

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious to see if anyone is using the Merkitch Money Machine on the beaches ( ocean, lake, river ) these days and if they're having any luck. My guess is "no" since they involve a lot of work to use, but I've definitely been wrong at least once or twice in my life, so thought I'd ask.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I built one and dragged it through some shallow water and learned it was more hard work than I did for a real job. I have since added a vibrating screen sifter and use it behind a small tractor for our beach cleaning work for the parks. It only works in well in the dry sand and has half inch screen to catch the glass and cig. butts too. The wet sand piles up fast and even with the bouncing box, it overloads quickly and has to be cleaned. We only sift down to about four inches in the dry sand, but at least we find an occasional chain and some nails still pass through even with the magnets.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had one built about 1970 for the tidy sum of $100. One of my first finds with it was a 14kt gold band. An unknown amount of change and various other items. Used to use it about 12 feet underwater with a hookha rig to dislodge eel grass so I could hunt the sand underneath. I'll tell you that was WORK. Now I'm pushing 60 and I don't use it as much as I used to. Its 18 inches wide and it gets heavy when it loads up. I'm thinking about getting it cut down to 12 inches wide as the original plans called for. I use it mainly around fishing piers in freshwater lakes. There is so much trash, hooks, sinkers, swivels and such that its almost a waste of time to use a metal detector around them. But that Merkitch sifter picks up all the big stuff including coins and rings. In 1970, underwater metal detectors were few and very expensive. This sifter model has seen fresh and saltwater use and has held up very well. Probably in 10 -15 years, I'll probably sell it but hope to use it again soon.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 273
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 281

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had one built from the plans in the little booklet that Merkitch wrote. It worked alright, but was really a lot of work and loaded up if the sand was the least bit wet. I recall it cost me over $120 to build with the wheels, axles, and cost of materials and having it welded up. I finally dismantled it, kept the wheels and concentrated on using the detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread