Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Upvote 0

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I don't hunt in the water, but in the wet & dry sand. I like hunting the wet best as that's were the jewelry seems to be. I get a lot of clad in the dry sand, but a lot of junk with it and haven't found any jewelry yet.

HH 8) surfrat

adb2

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
georgia
I havent found any jewelry yet and i stay out of water for fear of getting md wet. I find just coins on beach so far. about ayear into it. I do find nickles so I should be able to find gold if it was there.

C

chuckb

I've been lucky with wet sand and shallow water hunting, but when the beach is sanded-in I hit the dry sand...usually in sight of the lifeguard shack where most folks settle in. With a random pattern I usually find clad drops, but when I use a grid pattern I have found necklaces, bracelets and rings. I drag my scoop as I mark off a square stretch of beach, and using my scoop marks as a guide, I walk in a tighter and tighter patttern to close the square. If you're going to hunt the dray sand, I think it's a better use of your time to use a grid pattern.

scoutingbear

Jun 28, 2005
I hunt shallow water, wet and dry sand.

The dry sand turns up things like cell phones, lighters, jewelry, horse shoes, and coins.

Wet sand gives me coins, glasses, and jewelry.

Shallow water jewelry, coins and glasses also.

I have found more rings in wet sand, most coins in dry sand. Most pull tabs in dry sand. Targets in shallow water tend to be keeper finds.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My experience has been with just dry sand and wet sand. No underwater surf.

Dry sand tends to have items like coins, keys, and LOTS of buried trash (soda cans, ketchup containers, nails from beach fires...)
People tend to bury their trash in the sand rather than carry it out.

People don't put much trash below the water line, so I only detect wet sand.
Jewelry is lost in waist deep to neck deep water. Surf knocks it right off them.

Wet sand (at low tide) produces coins and jewelry with very little trash.

I've been told (and seen) that surf detecting produces alot more jewelry
than wet sand. Will find out about that soon.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all..
I'm a new member ...live in Ft Worth, Tx..Planning a trip to Padre Island before the cold weather sets in..when is the best time to go before it gets cold..also, I have a Garrett GTX-1000 - has anyone attempted to use this brand at the beach...it has all the bells and whistles and works well on land ..mostly found coins and some keys, but NO GOLD - I'm hyped to attempt some beach hunting ..and with a lot of luck may find something good...having difficulty though understanding where in the wet sand to look and focus on to find those good finds (rings, jewelry etc) and ..most importantly ..where is the best place to go without getting my detector confiscated....someplace thats productive

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not prove anything one way or another but....I just started hunting fresh water beaches and found my first ring right at the break line from wet to dry. Found mostly clad and pull tabs in the dry sand. In dry sand I look for flattened out areas where beach towels have been laid down. I find most of my larger denomination coins in the wet sand. The lakes around here are flood control lakes and the water level fluctuate so you never know what the water level will be from one time to another. The prevailing wind is south to north and the beaches that lie east to west tend ot get a lot of black sand which makes hunting difficult. north to south beaches are relatively free of black sand. Don't know if you hunt fresh water but those are just some of the fresh water beach tips I have picked up. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread