DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the long trip for me to the Tampa area on Friday. I hit the water and found myself in the presence of two other water hunters almost immediately. They didn't seem much inclined for conversation as I got close to them so I kept to myself. I must say that they were an odd lot. One guy was covered up completely in a brownish older wetsuit and hooded hat looking thingy and the other guy was hunting with a live Cockatoo on his shoulder. (If this is any of you guys, I will make it a point to speak next time.)

While there were lots of people on the beach, there were very few in the water. This was my first serious water hunt of the year and right away, I was faced with the dreaded Garret Infinium whisper. That immediately brought back memories. An Infinium whisper means you are going to be digging forever to get to your target because the depth capabiltiy of the Infinium is so great that any whisper is going to be something tremendously deep. Right when I though I was going to reach China, I finally got the target in my scoop and came up my first set of sunglasses I had ever found. Nothing expensive but they were the style I like.

The whispers continued with me starting off in waist deep water only to be bobbing over my head in the hole I was digging to get to the target. In the coming hours, I would dig several of these holes with nothing good to show for it other than a few coins, two cheap hoop earrings, a box of fishing hooks, a car key, and a couple of other odds and ends.

I left this beach and headed to another. This is where I had found my first ring last year and it had good Karma. There weren't many people in the water here either but I felt I had a good chance of finding something good here. I again started digging plenty of deep holes and was just about to call it quits when I got a shallow signal which turned out to be a good one. I dug the scoop in one time and came up with this nice heavy 8mm 14k white gold mans wedding band with a beveled edge and brushed finish. This ring kept be from being shut out and after a tiring day, I headed the 2.5 hours back home a little happier.

The brushed finish doesn't photograph too well and looks like a scratched up ring but it is very nice and very heavy. Looking forward to hitting it again soon. Hope everyone is having good luck.

DaChief!

Attachments

• 04262008 090.JPG
    04262008 090.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 443
  • 04262008 092.JPG
    04262008 092.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first ring of the year. Hope you find many more. :thumbsup:

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey jim Congrats on that wht gold :thumbsup:.. I have yet to find a wedding band ...The guy with the bird is from Sarasota ,, Mark is his name ... He's the guy that found the stanley cup ring worth 80 k. He's a good guy and birds name is Reno. I hunt with him once in a while . He actually does this for a living, and lives out of his camper , He is a veteran hunter ,,been at it a long time ,, I don't know the other fella he was with ,,, anyway good going . Hope you get can get over to Sarasota one day.
HH guzz1

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Congrats on the find.A nice one.I'll take it for granted that the guy with
the bird uses a scoop,not drop and fan. That would be funny to watch
though if he did.The bird could circle till he came up.Keep up the good
work.HH Joe

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeSWFla said:
Congrats on the find.A nice one.I'll take it for granted that the guy with
the bird uses a scoop,not drop and fan. That would be funny to watch
though if he did.The bird could circle till he came up.Keep up the good
work.HH Joe

Great job on the ring, I was thinking maybe he has the bird trained to dive down and dig the targets ;D ;D

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Guzz, I will have to speak to Mark next time. Sounds like he leads an interesting life. His bird sat patiently on his shoulder and never made as much as a peep. He was in the sun for a couple of hours. The other fellow, looked like someone out of Pirates of the Caribean. He could not have weighed more than 130 pounds, had what appeared to be a long white beard but was so covered in wetsuit and protective clothing over his head and face that you couldn't see much of him at all. He mainly hunted in the very shallow and I saw him dig many targets. Mark was using a new Excalibur and I couldn't tell you what the other fellow was using.

Looks like the water temps need to climb just a bit more and the folks will be in the water by the droves. I didn't stick around for the evening to hunt the dry sand but there was probably some things to find there. I was in the water in the morning for about 5 hours and was a little cold even with my wetsuit on by the time I got out. The water at the afternoon beach seemed a little warmer. I had moved south a little more for that hunt.

Hope to see everybody posting lots of finds this year. Looks like we have some new hunters here this year. Good luck to everyone but I hope I out do you all and that you find more than you can carry home. One day, one of us is going to really hit it big but until then, we just have to put up with the beautiful beaches and all the stuff that comes with them. Life is tough isn't it?

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Jim .. I saw the pirates of the Caribbean dude today on Siesta key. He eyeballed me and nodded his head at me to say Hi. Now he's the guy I would love to talk to , I bet has an interesting History, All I can say is WOW!!! Probably a cool Guy ,,, Guzz1

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the kudos. I will try to be back out again soon. I am still looking for some decent gem stones attached to something. Guzz that guy was a hoot. He had all the kids running for mama when they saw him coming. You are probably right. He most likely has been at this for a long while. Looks like he has been hunting non-stop for say about 80 years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread