Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2 bench test

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have just recently purchased a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2.
I have not been to a beach yet.
I did a bench/air test today to check the discrimination using foil, older pull tabs, new tab, bottle cap, and a screw cap. I used a gold ring to do the test.

The threshold was set at a low hum during these test.
In Standard Trash Elimination
The detector would not pick up the foil. Which was the kind that's wrapped on Easter eggs.
The elimination was set at 5 for the new type tab and the ring could still be picked up. The old tabs, the bottle cap, the screw cap were also picked up at this setting.
The elimination was set at about 6 1/2 for the old tab. The ring could still be picked up. The screw cap was also picked up. The new tab and bottle cap was not picked up.
The screw cap was picked up with the elimination maxed out.
So, at about 6 1/2 should be a good setting.
In Discrete Trash Elimination
With elimination at 6 for the new tab. The ring could still be picked up along with everything else.
With elimination set at 7 1/2 for the old tab the ring could still be picked up. The new tab and bottle cap were also eliminated.
In Discrete Trash Elimination the screw cap was also picked up with elimination maxed out. The foil was not picked up at all, even with elimination set at 0.
Also in Discrete Trash Elimination the tones seemed to be a little more louder or defined.
It seems 7 1/2 is a good setting in this mode.

When the ring was held on edge it made a double signal.

These were "air" test with the objects about 3 or 4 inches from the coil.

I will be going to a North Carolina beach in about a week and hope to do these test again along with some hunting.
So far I'm happy with the results I've came up with.
I can't wait to hit the beach.

Attachments

• tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 695
  • tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Salt. I believe you will really like it. I have the big brother Infinium and I did the same type bench test. I was amazed at the depth once I got it to the beach and I believe the Mark is pretty comparable relative to depth. I believe next hunt, I am going to try to tone it down some if that is possible, maybe by using my smaller coil. I have to give up on many targets in the water when the surf is pounding because the detector actually finds them so deep that I can't reach the target for the hole filling in before I can get to it. It is pretty frustrating. I actually dig many holes close to two feet and still don't reach the target. I find myself over my head in the hole I dig on a target that I hit in just above waist deep water and that is no exaggeration.

Please let us know how you come out. I can't remember anybody on here who is using the Mark.

DaChief

OP
OP
salty dog

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Sure thing DaChief,
I'll let you know how my first beach hunt with the Sea Hunter goes.
Thanks for the post.

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
The Garrett Mark 2 is a good underwater detector. Just remember, any time you adjust the the discrimination, you are losing depth. Also you might discriminate out something like an iron shipwreck artifact.

Personally, I dig everything. :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get older you start thinking PI's have to be for the younger hunters with strong backs. The disc settings might be different once you are in the water at different locations because of the different salt content with black sand thrown in. Still it is deeper than a Minelab Excal.

Enjoy all the fun. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread