Rewards for filling other guys beach holes

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Rewards for filling other guy's beach holes

I went to the beach this morning to do some detecting, and saw that another guy was already there with his detector - which is not unusual these days.

By looking at his scoop drag trails, I could see he had done a thorough criss-cross pattern of the main beach goers towel area. It looked like a CSI professional job.

But, he had left big holes every place he had dug. Maybe he didn't know he is supposed to refill his holes, or maybe he didn't care. But he had left his holes unfilled.

Rather than say anything to him about this, I decided re-check each of his holes, and then fill them back in.

And I was rewarded in my efforts.

In almost every one of his dug holes I found something. Either a coin, a ring (not silver), or a large silver spoon (I don't know how he missed that).

He was giving me strange looks as he saw me digging in the holes he had detected earlier, but it didn't slow him down. He just kept criss crossing the beach, digging deep holes - usually coming up empty handed.

I didn't get to see what brand of detector he was using, but he sure was leaving a lot of unfound treasure.

The photo below shows what I found in his holes.

I was using an Excalibur II, with the sensitivy turned to 7.

Bill

Attachments

• venice050408.jpg
    venice050408.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 887
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Rewards for filling other guy's beach holes

lol Was nice of ya to fill his holes for him....and doubly nice that you got goodies for it! :thumbsup:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job fillin the holes. Guess he didn't read the destruction manual or didn't realize his Disc. knob was maxed out. The way he was going, I'd follow him anyday ;D

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats what he gets for not filling them in, too back you didnt find the big ice and went over and slapped hin in the face with it....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You did very good on filling his holes. There should be a bounty on these clowns.

What I need to know is if you were using the Excal, how did you find the bobby pins?

OP
OP
GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300

Sandman said:
What I need to know is if you were using the Excal, how did you find the bobby pins?

I've learned to listen for when the background tone goes silent as I move the coil. When I hear that bit of silence, I know something has been discriminated out.

I then put the excal in pinpoint mode, find the center, and dig a little.

I usually find something interesting.

One thing I noted this morning with the sensitivity set at 7m every time I heard a tone change (or silence), and dug the sound, I found something. Never a dry hole.

Previously, when I set the sensitivy to 'auto', I was continually getting false readings.

But on the manual setting, I seem to always find something when it tells me to dig.

I'm going back at low tide this evening to see what else I can find.

Bill

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

I'll even bet he was tossing his junk back in the hole...Jerk.. You should have showed him the good items he missed, would have made him think twice. Nice job.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

I do that too because there are so many places off limits to us th'ers now and I don't want there to be more if I can help it. It is too bad that it only takes one person to mess things up for the rest. You did a good job. Here is a big

pat on the back!

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:yeah, there is always one that ruins it for the rest of us :tard:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
Good deeds do get rewarded sometimes, you proved it GuerillaBill. :thumbsup:

If I had been there, I would have filled in all his holes except for the last one - then I would have reached down (hopefully he's watching me), pulled up something (actually nothing) and shouted with joy....GOLD!! GOLD RING!!! Then nimbly remove the gold ring from my pocket that I'd dug up earlier in the day and waved it under his nose. [OK, I wouldn't really have done that, but it's fun to imagine.]

The only problem with that is if the pea brain is dumb & inconsiderate enough to leave a mine field of holes and trash behind, he'd be dumb enough to come over & try to claim the Gold ring as his find. :icon_pirat:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

32 cents huge reward :icon_scratch:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
EDDE said:

Better than nothing, he was going to fill in the holes anyhow so a little clad in the holes is better than nothing. You must be a very hard person to please. ;D :D :wink:
yes i am

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE said:
It ain't the mother lode, but it's on the way to beans or beer!!!! Not to mention the satisfaction of possibly saving a beach being closed to detectorists.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior

still ncie of you to do that and that spoon got some chas in it if its silver

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008

Thank You for making us look good and people like that don't last

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Thanks, you did good and got a little cash to go along with it!
Happy Hunting

Desertfox

Snook1998

May 12, 2008

Good job. I'm new to this forum and this hobby. However, I know enought to fill my holes at the beach. I live in Palm Beach County, Fl. and I've been hunting beaches around here for the past 4 months or so. I swear it sounds like your describing someone in this area. I've never seen the person, but I have found lines leading to hole afte after hole after hole. The same criss-cross pattern along the towel line. I'll start checking those holes before I fill them from now on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread