Looking for a decent long handle scoop

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Hello all, I would like your opinion on long handle scoops. I have a really nice 2 foot hand scoop that works great for the beach. However, it does not do the job when I get into the water and so I am in the market for a long handle scoop. I was looking at the Pirate scoop http://www.athwholesale.com/beach-scoops.htm but before I purchase it, I would like to hear from y'all to see what you have used and what you like.

Thanks, and HH!!

Upvote 0

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Mike I have the master scoop.....the one @ the bottom of your addy. Works great, and the handle is interchangable. Can fab a T-handle, that I find VERY helpful. HH Gayle

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
rsc said:
Mike I have the master scoop.....the one @ the bottom of your addy. Works great, and the handle is interchangable. Can fab a T-handle, that I find VERY helpful. HH Gayle

Thank you Gayle, I was reading another thread and came across the diamond head scoop with the fiberglas handle and I think that is what I am needing. Now if I can just convince the wifey that I NEED this scoop and the Anderson over under shaft for my Excalibur, I'll be all set! LOL ;D

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I dont think i would want this scoop in the water, The weight is about 6 pounds and the drain holes are small, Your in the water and dig into the wet sand and picking up a full scoop that allready weights 6 pounds empty will wear you out fast waiting for the wet sand to drain thru the holes.

Sandman has a great water scoop if you look at the past post you will find a pic, Kellyco has a brand new brute scoop on there web im getting ready to purchase next week.I have a 6061 aluminum scoop that work great in the water, But sometimes it takes a few more trys locating the target.

This is where a wider scoop would help out, And the brute kellyco sales is made out of aluminum and this will be a few pounds lighter and drain much quicker that the scoop that you have in the pic.

Sometimes you have to learn from purchasing different scoops to decide what works the best, Good luck

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That pirate Looks just like the Diamond head.. Diamond head is 10 dollars cheaper .. Im in the market as well . let us know what you end up with . my vote right Know is the diamond head W/ fiberglass handle, But the jury is still out .... guzz1

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Yes guzz they look the same because they are both Diamond Heads. That dealer decided on a name change,
go figure! The all Stainless model is no longer made.

As for water hunting with the Diamond Head, well that's ALL I DO!! and I do it 8-10 hours per/hunt.
With no problems.

The scoop mention called the Brute is a half pound lighter.

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
Mike - You do need an Anderson over & under I have one and I appsaloooootly love it - just call Don at
North Georgia Relics 706-264-6011 and get one - do what I did with the wife - beg - and as for the scoop I have a stainless with the wire basket and not to sure I like it because I have only had it for a week and already a few of the wires are broken but it sifts really fast but I have never had anything
else but I like the looks of the brute and the pirate scoop they both have good points - wished
I could try them both - Cavedweller

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Hey Cavedweller, I had the Anderson, Over & Under on an Excal., this past weekend.
And it felt great! and very well made.

And the price $ is right.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I like this one. It is 9 1/2 inches wide and has a wood handle that floats

Attachments

• scoop 88.JPG
    scoop 88.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 349

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
I use the Beach Brute from Kellyco . I bought it 12 years ago and it is still going strong. Scrooge

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Even Stainless Steel has some buoyancy, the problems come when scoops are too lite in a surf.

And a 5 or 6 pound scoop is not a "heavy weight", I know of hunters with much heavier scoops.
I mainly hunt waist deep or deeper.

I'm currently in the market for a good dry sand scoop, which is an entirely differant beast.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Chi Town Bruce said:
Even Stainless Steel has some buoyancy, the problems come when scoops are too lite in a surf.

And a 5 or 6 pound scoop is not a "heavy weight", I know of hunters with much heavier scoops.
I mainly hunt waist deep or deeper.

I'm currently in the market for a good dry sand scoop, which is an entirely differant beast.

I do not know if we can post ebay links or not so I will just say item # 120263623429, it is a stainless steel scoop with a very comfortable handle and it is 28 inches long. This is what I am using and I love it for dry sand and wet sand.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Ronald99 said:
I dont think i would want this scoop in the water, The weight is about 6 pounds and the drain holes are small, Your in the water and dig into the wet sand and picking up a full scoop that allready weights 6 pounds empty will wear you out fast waiting for the wet sand to drain thru the holes.

Sandman has a great water scoop if you look at the past post you will find a pic, Kellyco has a brand new brute scoop on there web im getting ready to purchase next week.I have a 6061 aluminum scoop that work great in the water, But sometimes it takes a few more trys locating the target.

This is where a wider scoop would help out, And the brute kellyco sales is made out of aluminum and this will be a few pounds lighter and drain much quicker that the scoop that you have in the pic.

Sometimes you have to learn from purchasing different scoops to decide what works the best, Good luck

Ronald, 6 lbs, heck 20 lbs wouldn't faze me at all. You would have to see me to understand.

Well, picture this, 6 foot tall, shaved head, goatee minus the mustache and I weigh in at 270 lbs, I have a 36 inch waist. Some have said I look like Kratos, hence why I use Kratos as my avator, lol.

Hey, sometimes it is good to be scary, no one really bothers me when I go out ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Beach Brute II from Kellyco, it is a "backhoe"....... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread