1st time treasure hunting with kids in florida/orlando area, Help!!

P

paulsdawn

my 8 year old son is fascinated with treasure hunting and shipwrecks. We are going to florida in 2 weeks to the orlando area and I promised to take him treasure hunting on the beach. I would like to rent a metal detector while we are there. Does anyone have any advice or info on rental places and/or beaches to take him to. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. He'd be thrilled to find anything! Thanks. ??? :)

Upvote 0

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I'm in the Orlando area, but to be honest I haven't been having much luck myself. But then, I don't get out very often. The beaches here are heavily hunted, but you should be able to find some clad, etc. I've only been to one of the beaches, at Jetty Park, and both times there was a guy there that I suspect hunts it daily. You should be able to find stuff at places like Cocoa Beach and Daytona where there is heavy beach usage. Good luck and I hope ya'll have some fun! You might try contacting the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club. You can Google it and get their web site address. I haven't made it to a meeting yet, but if you call them someone there might be able to give you some better insight. Wish I could be more help.

vicki

morris

Jun 8, 2005
Arlington Texas
go find a park stay off my beach!! >:( it's all mine.. mine at say go away >:(
all 4,000 miles of it .... ;D ;D ;D ;D
hey it is hard to find the good stuf on a beach with a cheap system the florida beach is fun please injoy your stay and good luck... ;) 8)

P

Pooley

If you are looking for old coins then stay away from the beaches or wait until after a hurricane to come in. I have been to a couple of beaches near Vero Beach and have basically struck out both times due to the fact that it gets hunted almost daily. Also, I believe that there are more metal dectectorists in Florida than in any other state.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Pooley said:
Also,? I believe that there are more metal dectectorists in Florida than in any other state.?
I usually see at least 3-5 hunting everytime I go, but they're usually hunting the dry sand. I seem to be the only one that hits the wet. A lot less junk and that's were I seem to find the little bit of jewelry I've found!

HH 8) surfrat

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
They have a rack of them at Kellyco for rent, I thought it was the used detectors and liked the price on a whites water machine, that's when they told me no, that's the deposit for rentals. !!! So this question is asked alot and now we know, you can rent at Kellyco when you visit Florida. PS dad , swing by a coin shop and pick up a couple old coins for two or three bucks, might come in handy on a slow day to recharge the enthusiasm battery's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread