P5291511.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea know this scoop has a lot going for it. I like the addition of a top for keeping the goodies in the basket in the surf.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Looks good Guzz1, you know you have to housebreak it though right? Put it to sleep with some gold in it overnight for good luck :icon_jokercolor:
Glenn

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Close up View of the Diamond Back Scoop Fiberglass Handle

Less of a lightning rod with the fiberglass handle I suppose. :icon_sunny:

Is there less weight to it, vs the steel handle? The original scoops were pretty heavy to lug around.

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
................but do you feel confident in digging with it? It looks nice and aggressive, my only concern would be the handle ......let me know how you feel about it once you've had it in the water. :thumbsup:

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Hey 954 hunter
This may answer your question on the Diamond Head, if you haven't read all the posts on it yet.

Hey Montauk3, the handle has no issues, it's tougher then oak and i have all the confinance it will hold up.

Take a look in your big box stores and check out how many shovels and commercial hand tool makers
have gone the fiberglass route. Even garden & lawn have switched over, yes, the age of wood has come to
an end.
As for retrieving targets there again, no problems or i wouldn't have purchased a second one.

Twisting........ has NEVER! happen, not even when I stepped wrong, it dung in!

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey paul weight not bad at all ,, lighter that the sunspot .. so far happy with it . read my post ordered new scoop. tells it all pros and cons Guzz1

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of fire departments are switching to fiberglass handles on there axes and tools....fiberglass handles are three times stronger with no maintenance to speak of.......Believe me when I tell you fireman abuse axes to the max....rdi

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
HeyĀ  Ā  AllĀ  TheĀ  newĀ  scoop worksĀ  reallyĀ  wellĀ  withĀ  veryĀ  littleĀ  effort.Ā  YourĀ  pinpointingĀ  hasĀ  toĀ  beĀ  prettyĀ  much rightĀ  on thoughĀ  becauseĀ  theĀ  diamondĀ  head hasĀ  aĀ  narrowĀ  mouth . WithĀ  aĀ  littleĀ  moreĀ  practiceĀ  itĀ  shouldĀ  beĀ  fineĀ  .. IĀ  missedĀ  aĀ  fewĀ  targetsĀ  TODAY becauseĀ  ofĀ  crappyĀ  pinpointingĀ  ,,,MyĀ  fault ,,Ā  notĀ  theĀ  scoop....Ā  TheĀ  scoopĀ  did notĀ  twistĀ  onĀ  me oneĀ  timeĀ  ,,, straightĀ  downĀ  intoĀ  sandĀ  likeĀ  butter..Ā  IĀ  giveĀ  theĀ  scoopĀ  a 10Ā  forĀ  penetration . weightĀ  anotherĀ  10 .Ā  designĀ  10 . OverallĀ  greatĀ  scoopĀ  IĀ  wouldĀ  recommend itĀ  forĀ  sure ,,, howeverĀ  boneĀ  upĀ  on theĀ  pinpointing andĀ  practice withĀ  it ....Ā  Ā  Guzz1

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guzz....going tomorrow afternoon for an overnighter, will probably hunt north of you....taking my old stand by the diamond and the Sunspot scoop.... this trip I hope to make up my mind to keep the sunspot or sell it....the Boss can't understand why we need 6 scoops.....rdi

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Have a good hunt ,,,,, you guys be safe Guzz1

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
guzz,

Your thoughts and opinion's on the Diamond Head, carry a ton of weight my friend.
I don't know anyone who has tried and tested more equipment then you have, if I did my wife would
send me packing! ;D

You even tried two of the biggest bite scoops on the market today, I should know! wanted to buy your
last one for a gift to my hunting partner. His fell apart and he is fond of that style.

Thanks guzz :thumbsup:

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
guzz1 said:
Hey All The new scoop works really well with very little effort. Your pinpointing has to be pretty much right on though because the diamond head has a narrow mouth . With a little more practice it should be fine .. I missed a few targets TODAY because of crappy pinpointing ,,,My fault ,, not the scoop.... The scoop did not twist on me one time ,,, straight down into sand like butter.. I give the scoop a 10 for penetration . weight another 10 . design 10 . Overall great scoop I would recommend it for sure ,,, however bone up on the pinpointing and practice with it .... Guzz1

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Thanks a bunch bruce ..The sunspot is a great scoop but the twisting and weight issues drove me nuts ..you'll be very pleased with the Diamond head ....fiberglass handle is the best ,,it cut the weight down... and no twisting ,,,, WOW!!! HH guzz1

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey 954 The handle is no problem Travis reassured me of that . I had same ?? Like RDI said. fire dept's are using fiberglass on the ax handle all over the country,,, thats goo enough for me ... hey good luck in your quest for a new scoop . HH Guzz1

Beachnick

Greenie
Jun 3, 2008
Miami Beach
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 Classic ID.5
Greetings all,I am new to this forum so a Big Greeting from me to all of you.I have been TH'NG for 25 yrs or so,anyway where can I order this beach scoop,looks like a good one.thanks.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
If a fireman is able to advise a fiberglass handle, that's GOT to be a quality guarantee!

Those fellows just don't have the time to work with 2nd best.

Thank you for your service to others.
rmptr

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
HeY Beachnick
I haveĀ  theĀ Ā  diamond headĀ  ScoopĀ  andĀ  theresĀ  thingsĀ Ā  I likeĀ  aboutĀ  it, and theresĀ  thingsĀ  IĀ  don'tĀ  likeĀ  aboutĀ  Ā  it .. IĀ  lost 4 targetsĀ  today in theĀ  deepĀ  waterĀ . because youĀ  haveĀ  toĀ  deadĀ  On theĀ Ā  targetĀ  ..Ā  If you miss likeĀ  IĀ  didĀ  today.Ā  theĀ Ā  targetĀ  seemsĀ  to travelĀ  furtherĀ  intoĀ  theĀ  hole andĀ  movesĀ  around THATS ONLY A theory..Ā  I'mĀ  stillĀ  testingĀ  it .Ā  I'llĀ  keepĀ  youĀ Ā  postedĀ Ā  . Welcome .. by theĀ  way,,Ā  andĀ Ā  nice toĀ  haveĀ  youĀ  here ...Ā  guzz1

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I have 2 sun spots,I realy like them. I had no intention of changeing. Then I saw the a picture of the Nutall diamond head. I ordered 1 yesterday. Travis seems like a real nice guy. He is sending me a 48" handle,instead of a 40". I hunt in fresh water,some times up to my chin,bobbing on my toes. The extra 8" makes a difference. Sunspot is a great scoop,except for the oak handles. I broke both of mine in a few times out. Now I use aluminum ,works good. I will have to get used to the closed top. In calm water I don't need or like that. I figure 1 good ring found will pay for the new scoop. Happy hunting. :thumbsup: Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions