Cleaning this type of corrosion . . . Calif Coast

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been finding some decent coins in the surf lately, today 5 wheatbacks (no silver today) but found 2 silver dimes a couple days ago, the problem is they are all corroded with that green patina that we all know so well. I know that this is more of a Cleaning forum question but I feel it is specific to this board. Is there anyone that has found an easy way to clean these without electrolysis. Just hoping someone has a recipe or chemical that I can soak them in. Any information would be sincerely appreciated! :thumbsup:

Today's Finds
GEDC0864.jpg

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes putting them in a potato will work....also try hot hydrogen peroxide or salt and vinegar

HH
-GC

El_Bandido

Nov 1, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido UMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I have looked into the mass cleaning of such coins and found that the cost of cleaning is just about more than the cost of the coins when your talking about pennies and nickels. Enough dimes and quarters may help you break even.

Tumbling in a rock polisher type tumbler uses electricity. Most of the liquids that you can use to clean are expensive, etc. The only fellow I have read about that had a good idea about mass cleaning used an old front loader washing machine. He put a very large number of these types of coins into the machine and created his own abrasive out of old corn husks. I am not sure how long he kept them in the machine but I remember seeing the end product which was a useable coin. The numbers of coins he did at one time made it cost effective but that was many years ago. At the price of electricity and water these days I couldn't tell you whether it would be as effective.

I would check with the bank or U.S. Treasury to see if you can get an exchange. Not sure if they will do that with coins. I know they do with paper money.

Good Luck.

DaChief

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive run into this same issue & more now with cheapy Zincs that dont last even in freshwter..Cost and time vested seems like its just not worth it ..Lately what I started too do with Clads & lightly corroded zincs is use a wire wheel on Hi speed bench type grinder..hold coin in pliers & hit with wire wheel ..hang on to coin tight ..use safety glasses /shield& be careful..l cleans layer off fast & shines Clad a bit too. This is my method and works for me ..May not be for others ..High speed wire wheel can fling a coin across the yard so be careful :o ..Bill

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I tumble my coins in CLR. Try shaking them in a jar of CLR. It can be bought at any grocery store. Also the salt & vinegar might work as stated earlier.

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your points . . . . no sense in attempting to clean the clad or commons but I am finding older coins and those are the ones that I would like to see the date on. Especially the wheatbacks and silver coins. I will try some tests on the Potato method and Salt & Vinegar. Thanks for the helpful info and insight :thumbsup:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread