My quickest ring find to date.......Under 2 minutes

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my silver ring find from yesterday, it's not much, but it did set the record for my quickest ring find to date.

I found the ring in waist deep water, less then 2 minutes of entering the water at the start of the days hunt, I was talking to someone beside me who was asking me what I was doing and on the third pass of my coil I had a tone, the ring came up in the first scoop, black as the night from tarnish.....

I thought, man going to be a great day..........It was my only jewelry find of the day. :'(

SilverStPeteBeach62808.jpg

Upvote 0

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Good Job! It cleaned up nice!
I always wonder how long it takes for rings in the water to get tarnished.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be the way it is. I usually get a quick find and then it is a grind the rest of the day. I still say it is because we are fresh and using good technique when we first enter the water. As time goes by we tire out and start getting sloppy.

Nice Ring. Was that from St. Pete?

Jim

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
what are you using now marty? did u find the knobs u where after for the sov gt? not been out at all this year, planning my trip to cebu in a couple months, keep up the great finds ...robert

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great JoB TH Guzz

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happed to me last year, I was talking to a someone on the water line, I turned on the excall made a short pass an bbbing. A ring, It was my biggest gold ban yet. COTTON

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjnail said:
what are you using now marty? did u find the knobs u where after for the sov gt? not been out at all this year, planning my trip to cebu in a couple months, keep up the great finds ...robert

RJ, great to hear from you!

RJ. I have this fantastic machine, I bought a waterproof Sovereign GT from a great guy off of TN, it is all I have used in the surf since I bought it. :thumbsup: :wink:

I used the Excal a couple times, but after using the Sov with the WOT coil in the water for so long, it is really very hard to go back to a 10 inch coil. I have no problem using the WOT in the surf, for me it appears no harder then the 10 inch, but the 10 inch looks like an 8 inch to me, it looks so small since I've been using the 15 inch for so long....

I have made no changes to the knobs since I bought it, I only tightened the set screws on the knobs. I did add side brackets to it so I could add a shoulder harness to help distribute the weight better.

DSC02144.jpg

RJ, I envey your trip to Cebu, are you going to do any hunting there or are you going to be too busy....... :wink: :thumbsup:

Sniffer the ring is silver..............

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey TH I wish I had the know how to waterproof my sov GT. that would be my main water hunter as well. I use mine as my night hunter wet sand and dry ... yours looks great ,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Guzz1

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
just going to cebu for some R%R, wont have time to do any hunting ,well water hunting.maybe next trip. glad ur enjoying the sov. rj

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter......Don't know if you remember when I told you that you beat me to the punch to buy your waterproof GT by less than an hour. Which forced me to build my own box,that I copied from your design. It was not a cheap project overall,but like you say the GT makes a superb water machine. I also have a 15 inch WOT coil which I use with the GT mostly on land. I prefer the Intruder S12 for water hunting. The S12 is easier for me to pinpoint.
That ring is a great find.I've never been fortunate enough to find a ring within the 1st few minutes,however a few months ago my wife took the GT to the edge of the water,set the coil down so she could put her headphones on,turned the machine on,as soon as she picked up her coil it sounded off. Low and behold there was a silver ring below the coil....rdi

Attachments

• waterproof gt.jpg
    waterproof gt.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do remember RDI, and it looks like you did a super job making it, almost a twin to mine. The only mod I did to mine was to add the side brackets so I could wear a shoulder strap with the side belt to help distribute the weight. It cost me $13 to have the brackets made, they are glued on with clear marine epoxy.

I am glad to hear you like it as much as I do in the water. People say the excal is the same as the Sovereign, which is true, but an early version of the Sovereign, I believe I read the XS model.

Soryy I wasn't able to make the get together, I had no plans of being on that side of the state, but we had to put my mom in the hospital Thursday night so I was visiting her Sarurday evening and went detecting before.

I must admit it is really nice detecting that side of the state with no swells or surf, I envy you guys there. I didn't have to keep one eye over my shoulder looking for that wave to knock me on my a$$ like you do on the east coast.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter....Sorry to hear about your mother,hope she is doing ok.
I know exactly what you mean about the east coast waves. 25 to 30 years ago I hunted the east coast exclusively. I was young and full of vinegar and used to get killed by the east coast surf. However, it was good training for the winter months on the gulf,when it can become a bit rough. I noticed this last winter I had very little or no competition when the water looked like it normally does on the east coast. I can handle getting tumbled but those kidney slappers SUCK. Even though the next day I could barely get around,I still had fun. If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough, I always say....rdi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread