txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a hard time deciding on the pi or the beachhunter. I went with the beachhunter got it Thurs. took it out Friday for about 15minutes walked into the surf a little above knee deep, waves hit me, decided that I would go back in around ankle deep until I got the machine down. Well it started acting crazy, static, and I turned it off turned it back on nothing but a buz. I went over to the chair, undid it out of the yellow case and guess what? I had water drops inside the housing. EXCUSE ME BRAND NEW MACHINE...BRAND NEW WATER MACHINE. What the heck??? I have to tell you I cried, because I planned this whole detecting trip for the weekend, spent $150 a night on a hotel, and within 15 minutes it was ruined. I could not even bring myself to go back down to the beach after that cause all I keep seeing was all the metal detecting I was missing. I usually drag a couple machines with me and only use one. This time I only brought the BHID so that I would make myself learn it and look what happend

I will be calling the dealer tomorrow and getting things straight, the thing is after this mess I don't know if I even want a Beachhunter anymore, maybe a PI, or perhaps not a Whites at all. I will tell you this I did not like the whole coil floating thing on it to begin with. Has anyone else had this problem with the beach hunter? Is the pi better? Is it sealed because honestly after seeing the housing unit on the beach hunter held together by screws I am not so certain I trust that. I think I want something that I know is completely sealed, maybe I will be getting the excal after all.

Cost of new detector----------678
Hotel Room 2nights-----------320
Gas to get there and back --- 80
New batteries at resort shop(just to be sure it wasn't the batteries-------12

Finds before detector fried----2 pieces of rusty iron, and 1 bottle cap

Box of Klenexx to cry into----Priceless

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Re: NEW MACHINE ---ANTICIPATION----TRIP---and Kaboom the ending

What A Night mare Txkicker, I would of packed up and went home After a good cussin and crying. My trip to the beach early this month was a washout also, found 3 pennies

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax

Sorry for your misfortune. That stinks bigtime. Sadly water machines are expensive and yet I read of these types of disasters all the time. I don't understand that as big as this market is, there are not ,more choices of machines that are rugged and dependable. It seems like with water machines it is a "big find" if you get a dependable machine.

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II

What can anyone say to that experience.

If you were in S. Florida I could loan you mine.

I would be sick.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks guys you know I could understand if I had the machine for a while and banged it around or misused it but come on right out of the box. I couldn't pack up and go, but how I wished I could of. But part of the trip was that while I was suppose to be pounding the beach detecting, hubby was off on a deep sea fishing trip. He had it rough seas 8-10ft 30 miles out. But he was like one of the only ones that didn't get seasick and he ended up catching some nice snapper that he cooked up tonight for dinner. FYI for you cooks trying soaking the snapper in amaretto and sprinke with pepper then sear...man it is good! He did this by accident, he thought the amaretto was a type of wine I had. You gotta try it

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I feel your pain ,, how frustrating , Check out SANDSHARK If your looking for a reliable deep hunting PI NO PROBLEMS EVER LIFETIME WARRANTY ,,I have one and I have NEVER had a problem with it ... I have own whites PI SURFMASTER ,Very good Never had a problem it either . I prefer the Sanshark with the 10 inch coil, Stays down in the mine . And the Sandshark Go's deep. Good luck and enjoy that snapper tonight. Guzz1

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Girl,
Sorry to hear about your trip.

If you paid almost $700 for your machine, I recommend getting either a used Excalibur or 1280X (if you can get your money back). I prefer the Minelab Excalibur. I had my first generation model for a little over ten years, and it NEVER gave me a problem. Have a newer one, that is the same (had it about a year now).

Best-Mike

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeah I am thinking about the excal I have used one before, but thought I would give the whites a try but not so sure now

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008

If your anywhere near St. Pete Fl. you could rent a water detector at Bill Jacksons on US 19 and salvage
some of your trip - Cavedweller

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have not used a Whites water machine in several years but unless the battery compartment hinges have changed, they had to be put on with equal pressure together or the seal could mess up.

I would take or send that machine back asap and see if they will entertain a swap or refund. You have to get tough and tell them what you want to do.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Sorry for your trouble. It is bad enough to havr=e any machine go down but on your first outing is really double hard.

Like was said, come over here to the west coast of Fl. and we will treat you to a hunt.

DaChief

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know it wasn't the battery compartment because that was completley dry, I just can't help but wonder if somehow I was sent a refurbished one now and they said it was new. The reason why is someone mention that they have red seals this one has a black seal on it. One thing for sure if I do swap it for another one it will be the 300 with the weighted coil. I was already asking myself why I didn't get that one before the thing went hazy and already thinking of ways to weigh it down. I really didn't believe that a water machine coil would float like this, since I have used machines with waterproof coils in the surf and the coils didn't float. Maybe I will just get the dual pi now since I am leary of the beachhunter.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Txkickergirl, I'm very sorry to hear about that. I can only imagine the excitement and planning that went into the trip. I have been researching since early spring on water machines. Ive went back and forth so many times it would make your head spin. Seems like the few machines that are out there all have there problems. Look at Flbill going though 3 new excals and then called it quits and got a whites. Your thinking of going the other direction :tongue3: The machine i chose came down to what i felt i wanted and not the raves about certin machines. Ease of use, customer support and lifetime warranty. I'll trade that for 2in of depth any day. Good luck to you.

@)}~~~}}~~~~

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is too bad I went through three ex cals ll's and they were bad after losing two weeks I decided to buy the beachhunter300. Believe it or not the first one I got was bad. At this point I was ready to just take up golf.
I received another one and made a three hour run with it and it appears to be great so far.

It should have the red gasket, they had problems with the black gaskets leaking and I even think that they requested they be sent back and the gasket would be changed.

I would definitely find out why you received one at this time with a black gasket, that shouldn't be if they said you were receiving a new one.

Hope everything turns out good for you...

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250

I would have been furious...

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will have to give you all an update once I talk to the dealer tomorrow. I did talk to whites and am waiting for an email back, they asked for my serial number so they could tell me when the machine was made. I am going to be one super upset camper if I find out the machine is a couple years old and had been sitting on a shelf or worse that it was a display, demo, or some crap like that and that it was sold as new. I am one of the most honest people you will meet. I once forgot to pay for a 78cents gallon of bleach that was under my cart at walmart. I walked all the way back into the store and gave it back to them. I know its naive, but I just seem to take everyone at face value and believe all the good that everyone is honest and fair. Guess we shall see.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WHERE DID YOU BUY IT??

IT SHOULD NOT HAVE A BLACK GASKET SEAL!! IT WOULD BE RED/ORANGE IF IT WAS NEW??? WHERE DID YOU GET IT??I HAVE USED A BEACH HUNTER ID FOR YEARS...I HUNT 20-30 HOURS AWEEK IN SUMMER...NEVER HAD A LEAK!!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Hey wow sorry to hear that, I am sure they will make it right.

I have a beach hunter also it is the one Florida Bill had, it is a sweet machine and I never have had a problem with it. In the month I have had it it has been in the water now 7 times and once 20 feet deep diving with it getting sinkers. It has the orange seals on it. I haven't found gold with it yet but if it says it is iron it is. I have found plenty of clad and mine seems to be pretty dead on with the lights as far as targeting. It pinpoints excellent.

I would be curious also as to why it leaked if it is new or even refurbished. It should of been upgraded to the new seals either way.
As I read before I bought Bill's the black seal was a problem for leaking and they got rid of it a ways back. I looked into having a 12 in coil put on mine which would of meaning sending it to the VA service center for install, etc. The service manager there told me on the phone to never touch those screws on the plastic casing, it was easy to over torque them and cause cracks in it. Perhaps that is what happen to it and why it leaked.

The coil is a slight problem as it does float and take a little pressure to hold it down but try that method I mention with the PVC and weighting it. One advantage of it floating is it pops up and is easy to locate if you drop it. :wink:

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

I feel your pain. Would turn me off to a certain brand. For the money you already spent, you could have an Excal, or CZ21. Whatever you do, get an 8" coil. Musc easier to swing in the water.
As far as the dealer, GIVE THEM HELL. Gayle

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

where did you you buy it from? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok whites confirmed through the serial number that it was made in 2006 and that they quit making them and one of the should not of been sold to me. It should of had a red gasket. So armed with info I waited until I was sure the dealer opened and had a cup of coffee.

I called him and expected a bit of a run around but I will have you know he seemed just as shocked as me and told me to send it back and he would send me another one. So then I told him that within the 15minutes I used it I did not like the floating coil and that I think it would be best to upgrade to the 300, he was silent for a moment and told me he could do that but if I was going to spend that money to get the Fisher CZ-21 .
I told him I would think it over and call him back with my choice. After looking at the fisher and the reviews both good and bad I think I may go ahead with it. Any thoughts folks??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread