Ace 250 and the beach

P

Peter Pan

Hello, I am very new to the hobby (art, sport) of medal detecting. I tried it once as a kid and loved it, but my folks couldn't afford to by me a metal detector, so I was doomed to trying to spot the odd surface coin on the beach by sight. As you could guess I lost interest after awhile. However I just got interested again after reading a Lost Treasure mag. So I ordered and just received the Ace 250. Now I am waiting for the rain to stop so I can go out and try to use it.
Couple of questions if you don't mind. Is the 250 good for use on the beach, and/or IN the (salt)water (I live on the gulf coast of Florida). Also, is there a website that lists the rules and regulations of metal detector use in Florida.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
The ACE is a great choice for a starter, it does ok at the beach, but the settings are tricky (salt water causes lots of detectors to go nuts!) on the gulf coast, most of the beaches are ok unless they are on a state park, then you need a permit. there are alot of ACE 250 users here and any would be happy to help! Good hunting! omnicognic 8)

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I noticed you have IN capitalized for using the Ace 250 IN the salt water. Please keep in mind that the coil is the only thing waterproof on that particular detector. If you get the control box and electronics submurged it'll be pretty much over with.
xXx

OP
OP
P

Peter Pan

Thanks Omni and xXx for the reply. xXx I was thinking of along the waterline, not scuba diving, and was wondering if a wave washed over the coil and the electric connector. Would that waste the detector or is that something it could handle?

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I sent an e-mail to Garrett and they said I can dunk the coil completely as long as I don't get the control box wet. I have since done that in fresh water and haven't had any problems.

As for the beach... I tried mine in the Myrtle Beach area and it did great as long as I stayed in the dry sand. Once I got into the water or even in the wet sand, false signals all over the place.

If you check out the Garrett site they have a chart that shows which of their detectors are good for which areas, if I remember correctly, the 250 was NOT listed as good for the beach, but it did really well for me as long as there was no salt water involved.

Dudes

OP
OP
P

Peter Pan

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep it out of the water for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread