Need advice on a MD...

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
Greetings regulars!
I havnt been on these forums since the old board was up.
I love reading all your posts and seeing all your finds.....I am getting the "bug" for sure!

I live in Knoxville TN but my fiancee and I own 2 condos down in Panama City FL.

I am looking for a MD that I can use in both fresh water here at home and salt water down in FL.

The freshwater situation would vary from still-water swimming holes that have been frequented for years to slow moving creeks that have been used as swimming areas. The bottoms range from being sandy to muddy and even creek rock and gravel. It would be depths in the water varying from ankle deep to 15 feet.

My salt-water situations would be the same as most of yours, varying from ankle to shoulder depth.
But I would like to have a MD that I could dive with as well should I decide to get a tank.

I would also like for it to be a dual purpose MD(if there is such an animal) to allow me to search the beaches in both wet and dry sand, mud, gravel, etc.

I appreciate any and all suggestions! A White's retailer lives a few streets from me here in Tennessee and I would like to have some unbiased info before I drop in on him.

I am also curious.....you guys(and gals) that hunt in up to your necks.....how do you dig if you get a hit?
Do you just dig with a long handled scoop, sift, and then sweep again?
Take me thru the process! :wink:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look into a beach hunter id 300 ---a "water based" machine -- their waterproof for shallow water diving (25 feet max) --yet they can still be used on land --note most water detectors tend to be heavy and well a bit "clunky" for land use --but to get the usible in both areas salt / fresh water and on land -- some trade offs must be made ---water based machines can be used on land but not the other way around since getting a land based machines control housing wet will kill the machine dead in its tracks. ---salt water based machines tend to be PI (pulse induction) in nature thus their a "always" all metal machine that will pick up all metal --- and PI machines do nor "sort out" metals --- thus you will need to sort out your trash vs treasure after the find --- VLF type water machines for fresh water use can tell the differance between metals and show it via the light set up and tones ---but due to mineral interferance problems in salt water it runs in PI mode in saltwater---(VLFmode due to its nature reads the dissolved minerals in the salt water as "metal" --thus it freaks out -thus its very very hard if not impossible to use in salt water areas )---the beach hunter ID --has both PI and VLF abilities -- for fresh and salt waters as well as land use -- but its a bit heavy compared to most "land" only units -- that the up side and down side and I think its most likey what your looking for for an "overall" machine

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
all around id have to go with the Excalibur ll. of all iv owned it is the best overall.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
RC check your PM.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also highly recommend the Minelab Excalibur. I've owned 2, still own 1 as well as owning a custom waterproofed Sov GT and a regular Sov GT, both with the WOT coils.

I owned the Beach Hunter ID and I liked it, but mine leaked twice and I traded it for a new Sovereign GT with WOT coil. I liked the BHID and would have kept it, but after it leaked twice I no longer trusted it. I know others have had problems with the Beach Hunter leaking as well. It is a good detector though...............

There are several very good deep water scoops, I personally use the Beach Brute II and I can dig targets when I am chest deep using it. It also has one of the widest mouths for a scoop at 8.5 inches.....Don't skimp on the scoop it is a very important part of water hunting, especially in the surf when you have to time your digging intween the swells.....

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOe L said:
Minelab Excalibur vote here also. Its a do all machine and once you learn the curves, its a pluck and go.

I would hold off on any ex cal. ll right now this was a PM I received...

I should have listened TO YOU AND WENT WITH THE WHITES,YOU Guessed IT I GOT A BAD DETECTOR,I talk to Dick at mine lab and he told me that it was all of them,they are tying to figure it out but with no luck

OP
OP
RCMoonPie

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
That kind of goes inline with a couple of pm's I received.

I think for now I am going with the White's BeachHunter 300.
I have recieved several good testimonials and read several really good reviews.

I might change my mind though....I still have a while to save up for that BH300 price-tag!

Thanks for all the advice.....keep it coming!

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FloridaBill said:
JOe L said:
Minelab Excalibur vote here also. Its a do all machine and once you learn the curves, its a pluck and go.

I should have listened TO YOU AND WENT WITH THE WHITES,YOU Guessed IT I GOT A BAD DETECTOR,I talk to Dick at mine lab and he told me that it was all of them,they are tying to figure it out but with no luck

well, all of them???, unless this things going to go besserk-o I don't have a pin drop of trouble with it..
Anyone hears anymore, keep us posted.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of Excal II's out there working with no problems..........

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
There is a lot of Excal II's out there working with no problems..........

I agree, but there is also a lot that aren't, and don't take this the wrong way. I wish I was able to get an ex cal. that worked. They are a awesome machine but you have to admit that there is something going on with them, and I think if a person knows there maybe be a problem they won't spend their whole hunting season sending detectors back & forth until they find out what it is.....

I have all intentions of getting another but not until they figure out what is wrong...

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just received this email from Minelab... Now, I know, I know, who really knows and I have come up with a decision, "so far so good with mine and it is what it is." LOL

""" The Excalibur has been an excellent underwater machine with very few complaints noted. We believe you must take these open forum comments with a grain of salt.

If you believe you have a problem with your unit, please send it to us for evaluation. If still new, you may wish to return it to your selling dealer for an exchange or refund. Note that we cannot tell a dealer how to conduct business so the decision is totally up to them. In most cases, if a unit is new in the box with all packaging and warranty cards intact, some accommodation is usually possible.

Thank you,

James H. Drummond

Vice President & General Manager

Minelab USA, Inc.

871 Grier Drive, Suite B-1

Las Vegas, NV 89119 """

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not going to find many people starting threads saying my detector works, but you will when they don't work. No doubt some had problems, just like my Whites Beach Hunter ID had problems, but the majority work fine.

I know my Excal and Sov GT's have paid for their selves. 4th of July my land Sov paid for itself on that day alone.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166870.msg1215279.html#msg1215279

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Maybe I am one of the lucky ones.... that is hard to believe since I NEVER AM, heck I am still trying to find enough clad to pay for the second set of batteries on my purchased new Master Hunter 5.... been trying to do that for 20 years now....Anyway, my Excal works flawlessly. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that wants to get serious about hunting where it is wet... I am convinced that it WILL alert me to anything that is under the coil, but like the old prospectors learned, you will NOT find gold where it ISN'T.. I am still looking for where it IS :icon_scratch: HH Joe

LS hunter

May 13, 2008
LOUISIANA
Detector(s) used
WHITES V3...
JOe L said:
FloridaBill said:
JOe L said:

When i talk to Dick he told me that if i sent mine in and if they sent me a new one it would all be the same they all are doing the same,and are trying to figure it out ,i had a frind that had two excals and been using them for years now ,He told me to send it back that it was not working write!!!!!,i seen a man hunting at the lake front where i live and i walk up to him and said hows it going he look at me and said not good ,the detector was under water while we were talking,he pulled it out and it was the excal 2,its driving me crazy,Isaid go look on my back seat in my truck you will see mine,i was using my garrett ads 7,for kicks,His last words were i had the exca i and wanted to up grade,bad move!!!!!!

well, all of them???, unless this things going to go besserk-o I don't have a pin drop of trouble with it..
Anyone hears anymore, keep us posted.

LS hunter

May 13, 2008
LOUISIANA
Detector(s) used
WHITES V3...
NOT FROM WHERE IM STANDING ???
JOe L said:
Just received this email from Minelab... Now, I know, I know, who really knows and I have come up with a decision, "so far so good with mine and it is what it is." LOL

""" The Excalibur has been an excellent underwater machine with very few complaints noted. We believe you must take these open forum comments with a grain of salt.

If you believe you have a problem with your unit, please send it to us for evaluation. If still new, you may wish to return it to your selling dealer for an exchange or refund. Note that we cannot tell a dealer how to conduct business so the decision is totally up to them. In most cases, if a unit is new in the box with all packaging and warranty cards intact, some accommodation is usually possible.

Thank you,

James H. Drummond

Vice President & General Manager

Minelab USA, Inc.

871 Grier Drive, Suite B-1

Las Vegas, NV 89119 """

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sorry for beating dead horse.....it will be the last.

To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: Excalibur II

Hi:

Well, I don't know who has been mis-quoting me, since most people never
give their real names on internet forums, but I can assure you that I
never said anything about "every" Excal II not working.

It is always amazing to me how some individuals seem to spend a lot more
of their time sitting on some forum complaining or leaping to unfounded
conclusions than they do actually out metal detecting.

Have their been some Excal II's with a problem or issue of some kind ?
Sure there have - just like there have been some Whites water machines,
some Fisher water machines, and some Tesoro water machines with
problems. But that doesn't mean that every Whites, Fisher, or Tesoro
water machine has problems either.

I am quite sure that for every Excal II that has experienced a problem
of some kind there are dozens and hundreds of other Excals that are out
there finding coins, rings, and other good targets every single day.

And I ought to know - because I get those kinds of phone calls every day
also.

Good Hunting !!

Dick

Dick Shultz

Customer Service Mgr.

Minelab USA, Inc.
871 Grier Dr., Suite B-1
Las Vegas, NV 89119
Phone: (702) 891-8809
Fax: (702) 891-8810
E-mail: [email protected]

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When it comes to...Minelab...i would have a very hard time believing that they are having trouble with all of them....I have never had to send a Minelab back for repair and i have been using them since 1992.........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the very happy owner of 3 Minelabs, no illusions, hype or concerns here. If and when I decide I want to get the Excal II I would have no qualms or concerns at all about buying one.

I had several leak problems with my Beach Hunter ID, but I would buy another if I found a good deal on a used one. I wouldn't buy a new one, but then again I don't buy many new detectors, most of mine are used and all arrived working properly. By finding good deals on used detectors, when I go to sell one I get most of my money back if not all of it. When you take into consideration the finds with them I am way ahead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread