Saw a guy using his detector using a new search pattern today

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I saw a guy detecting a rather large dry sand beach with a unique search pattern. He looked like he was using a Whites thingy but he was just walking along dragging the coil behind him. He would stop about every 30 feet and check what made a noise then take off again in a straight line. Soon he would come back the other way. I thought he has to be told the right way, till I wondered if we were doing it the "right way."

He was covering a lot of ground, he followed his coil drag marks and kept the coil on the ground for max depth. I jsut thought it looked weird. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well did ya see him find anything? lol...the dead giveaway here on newbies is two things, a spoon from the kitchen to dig, and the best one is the spaghetti colander..LMAO

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Bootybay said:
well did ya see him find anything? lol...the dead giveaway here on newbies is two things, a spoon from the kitchen to dig, and the best one is the spaghetti colander..LMAO

Are you guys making fun of me? My wife is still complaining about gritty sand in the spaghetti, she just doesn't understand!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I push the coil along the ground alot of times when I am working agri fields with the large coil. Often the stubble is too high to swing the coil the "normal" way so this works better. Two things about you are right on the ground for maximum depth and you don't get near as tired. Yep it's different but very effective.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
Bootybay said:

Are you guys making fun of me? My wife is still complaining about gritty sand in the spaghetti, she just doesn't understand!

omg almost spit on that one..lmaooooooo

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not really sure that kinda of search technique is right for me, no I am sure, its not, but, don't see why it couldn't be effective :icon_cheers:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am hot, tired and ready to call it quits for the day I have a habit of just pushing the coil along the top of the grass on the way back to the car. Darn if I don't usually find something worth digging many times. Maybe we have it all wrong. How about plastic wheels epoxied on the bottom of the coil about 2" tall? Hmmm, I wonder........M ??? nty

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
let me ask this.

Have you ever tried to push a chain?

maybe that guy has it right

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
You know what they say Sandman... Even a blind dog finds a bone now and then :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Wow and those are the kind of people who don't want to hear a thing from you as they know it all. Oh well if it works for him ??????

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Have seen methods like that used.Some have used skids and a handle like a lawnmower of
sorts.Some with wheels for grass.On the sand it would make sure you covered every inch
by overlapping your pattern slightly.Have seen people push or pull a coil and come back on
the next pass overlapping a little,until the area is completely covered.A sure method,but kind
of tedious.And you better have coil covers for that method.Probably go through a lot of them.
To each his own, and whatever works is the right way for them.HH Joe

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
my 1st scoop i made from a 1 lb Folgers coffee can.shot it full of holes with a 22 and a broom Handel bolted on the back.lasted about 30 min.LOL!

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Dixie Digger said:
my 1st scoop i made from a 1 lb Folgers coffee can.shot it full of holes with a 22 and a broom Handel bolted on the back.lasted about 30 min.LOL!

Now that would be a cool picture

Mumszie, thanks for the admission, that is classic.

The closest I have come to beach hunting is a vollyball court.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
OK ok I confess. I've used a spagetti colander before when I first started out and didn't have the money for a scoop. ::)
So did I, wife was not happy :violent1:

I like the guy who walks down the beach swinging his detector like he is practicing his golf swing. I haven't seen that guy in a while though. Can't imagine why :icon_scratch:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman , I had a uncle that was stationed at Ft Benninng Ga, That made his own detector , He dragged it behind him but it was a 4 ft long pvc pipe or some kind of plastic i do not think that they had pvc in the 60s.But any way they use the detector to look for mines .He just converted it . My dad said it work really good , I was thinking of making something like that , My uncle didnt come home , So i cant ask him. Cotton

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In front of high price condos on the beach many times I do pattern searches like others do. I use the Sov GT with the WOT coil so I am able to cover a wide sweep. I drag my scoop to mark my path and make sure each new pass touches the previous pass.

I have about a 3 ft sweep to the right and 1.5 foot to the left (I'm right handed) so when I turn to my right for my next pass I move over 6 feet and sweep 3 foot back towards the last pass. I am able to cover approx 6 foot on my right side and when i am coming up on my left side I move over only about 2 foot. I can cover a large area of beach this way fairly quickly, but I am using the WOT coil and that really helps....

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
Okay....
I see you guys just laughing it up about these things. :P

So tell me.....(new to the hobby here)

What is the proper height off the ground?
What is a good swing technique?
Would a spaghetti strainer NOT work?

Is there a thread for such things?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
So if you have a nine inch coil and you overlap your passes that would be ....hmmmm....about 750 passes at my local beach??
Think Ill stick to old school.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
RC,

Proper heigth is about an inch to two inches off the sand.
...That would mean you're probably gonna be clipping the top off some little ridges regularly.
Coil functions best when kept level with surface, and same heigth at ends of your sweep.
Good swing technique is a bit dependent upon your particular machines response, as far as speed goes,
yet as stated above, a semi-circle favoring your dominant side of about 120 to 140 degrees.
Generally complete, side to side sweeps, unless a target is indicated.
Always re-check something in question. Perhaps from a different angle.
Overlap should be as if you were painting with a brush, but we tend to fudge a bit.

Holes in a colander are usually much too small.
3/8 to 1/2" is probably best, but will give you fits with smallest jewelry. ;D

Best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread