Murky lake water, still came up with a ring

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
So we are away from the beaches of Florida this week - way up in the mountains of Arkansas, and needed a metal detecting fix.

We checked the local maps and found a US Forest swimming area in an small, out of the way park. Then checked the internet, and found the US Forest service does allow metal detecting at established swimming areas.

We drove over to the swimming area - a small lake - and was somewhat disappointed to find that recent high rains had flooded the area, and left the lake murky - to say the least.

You couldn't see six inches into the water. And stuff was floating in the water that you probably best not take a close look at.

Still, it was a swimming area, and we had our detectors, so I gave it a try.

I gingerly stepped into the water, and found a hard rocky bottom. No sand, no mud, just rocks.

Turned on the Excalibur detector, took about four swings, and got a solid silver tone.

Tried to use my scoop, but with the rocky bottom, the scoop was useless.

So I sat down on the bottom, and just scooped muck by hand and waved it in front of the coil until I got a beep.

Finally, after about 5 minutes I found the target - a ring!

It looks to be silver, with fake diamonds. But still, finding a ring in a murky lake is better than sitting home and watching TV.

I also found several coins, and had a tone for what might have been another ring. But it was in chest deep water, and after seeing what was floating in the water, decided it was not a good idea to get my head, eyes and ears into that water - even for another ring.

Not a bad day.

Probably won't go back to this particular park until summer's over. The police had a full time presence there, and were putting someone in handcuffs as we were leaving.

Still, a fine day of metal detecting.

Bill

Attachments

• weddingtonring1.jpg
    weddingtonring1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 426
  • weddingtonring2.jpg
    weddingtonring2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 436
Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job that looks like it has been there a long time . Should clean up good, I have to agree with you they hardly ever put diamonds in silver rings, but if it's real old there could be a better chance of that.

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Right on Bill!.. and having lived here in clean water for so long... i understand the " I'm not putting my head in there" words! WTG! nice score for zero vis. Mikey :thumbsup:

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
great job on the ring....if I am not mistaken i found the very same ring in the lake here in north Alabama.....my lake is also murky....it is a man made lake and was farm land until 1939.....when swimmers are present youhave about 1 foot visibility...early in the morning you have about 3'.......only one area on this lake is sand and shells....seems like the rest of the lake is rocky about 6 inches deep then clay.....makes scooping very difficult....i do the "stoop, scoop and wave" tecnique on a very regular basis

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
must be a popular ring. I have one like it too...but it is huge...looks to be about a size 12!! congrats.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
So we are away from the beaches of Florida this week - way up in the mountains of Arkansas, and needed a metal detecting fix.

Mountains of Arkansas??? LOL You must mean the hills... :wink: Highet point in the state is only 2,753 feet above sea level.

Good luck hunting, hope you find gold.......

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Mountains of Arkansas??? LOL You must mean the hills... :wink: Highest point in the state is only 2,753 feet above sea level.
Good luck hunting, hope you find gold.......

Considering that the higher points in Florida are the freeway overpasses, 2700 probably qualifies as a mountain! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions