Results of my first beach hunt

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
I decided to go MDing at about 630PM it was a nice evening for it. Its only the third time using my Tejon and it took me about 20 minutes to ground balance (GB) it (more operator error then not) and I did not want anyone seeing me reading the manual. Oh yea I forgot to mention that this is my first detector. anyway I have a hand scoop with the 1/2" holes and that was a little hard in the damp sand (anyone have a better scoop for damp sand) A retired vacationing gentlemen was interested in what I was doing so I talked to him for a half hour he seemed very nice. Anyway the wet sand was very hard on the Tejon (I will have to post a GB question for wet sand on Tesoro board) but it worked great in dry sand even picked up a extremely rusted staple in 6" of sand (not in picture) anyway I found a 1944 nickle and some kind of ring (looks like gold) but I did have allot of fun and may go back tonight thanks for all your advice in advance!! -Mike

Attachments

• DSC00134.JPG
    DSC00134.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
The Tejon is a great land detector and dry sand but it will have problems in wet salt sand as it is a very sensitive detector and most single freq detectors have trouble GB in wet salt sand.i had a Tejon that would air test a nickle @ 15" but when i hit the wet sand i had to back the sensitivity way down to stop the chatter and falsing. good luck DD

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
Since you are a beginner, you may not know about war nickels. Check your 44 for a mint mark above the dome of the building. If it has one, it is 30% silver, so don't spend it. Put it in your silver collection.

pshaw54

Jun 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
not bad at all! what part of the country are you in? always hang onto those nails and other "dangerous" stuff to show the soccer moms. Good job!

OP
OP
thorny196

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sorry I will have to update my profile. I am in Moyock NC which is just south of the Virginia border on the coast. The outer banks (kill devil hills, Nags head and Corolla) are about 40 miles from my house. The Moyock area was settled very early 1600's so there are allot of opportunities for me.. R/Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the 1944 jefferson "war" nickle had a good bit of silver in it 30% -- on the back it will have a big letter over top of the building -- thats the mint mark of the silver nickles --congrats on your first "silver item "

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a lot better than I did on my first beach hunt. I found only pieces of barbed wire >:(

It is the best and most addictive hobby. I don't know why I didn't start years ago.

Good luck next time.

HH

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
NICE job Guzz

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
know your heart stopped when you heard each bottle cap !!!! Any sore muscles the next morn ?! No better beach fun anywhere around....keep it up

OP
OP
thorny196

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fla-Gal:
I was a little sore the next day but my back was really bothering me I never connected it to swinging the detector I just thought it was from a bad nights sleep I will have to watch that closer next time.. Thanks

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check a place like KellyCo for a wire mesh scoop with an aluminum handle, much easier for sifting dry or wet sand. These won't hold up to heavy digging of rocks or kicking on it, and such but otherwise would do fine. And they are lighter to carry than the heavy duty ones. I have a 30 incher, don't know the maker, that I use in fresh water and wet/dry sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread