Be careful out there....

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This weekend has been pretty bad for beach goes due to the rip currents from storm activity in the area. At last count there were four dead and three missing in the NY area this weekend. It is not just the rip tides you need to worry about. My wife called her Ex today about picking up my step daughter for a visit. When she reached him on his cell he was pretty shook up because a man was just struck by lighting a little bit down the beach from where they were sitting. It was a fast moving storm and unfortunately the man died. I never really thought about this danger before while detecting but next time I see dark clouds I'm getting off the beach.

Be safe

NJ

Upvote 0

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Sorry to hear about that sad event. Mother nature has many faces thats sure. Be safe.. Mikey

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Be very careful on the beach during lightning storms. Lightning hits the tallest object around, and on a beach, there is very little taller than you when you are standing up. About 2 weeks ago here locally a jogger was struck and killed near the water. I still hunt the beach before and after storms, but, as happened tonight, the first flash I see overhead, I duck and run. Hid under a lifeguard chair for 30-45 miniutes, and am glad I did. Saw 1 bolt hit the beach tonight about half a mile north, and shortly afterwards I heard 2 firetrucks heading there. Not sure what was struck, but still, was kinda close.

All in all: beach + lightning = dangerous.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry to hear that news . All water hunters should have a inflatable vest ... I have one and don't go in the water with out it ,,, Guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread