Brush on or Spray on

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=13pt]I'm taking a curiosity poll to see how many people do this and if you do, which you prefer.

People on the forums have been protecting their coils from scratching by other means than the use of a coil cover. The sand build up between the coil and the cover can cause falsing at times, particularly when at the beaches and ocean.

I've heard of three different types of applications to protect your coil: 1) Water proof Epoxy, 2) Spray on truck bed liner and 3) Spray on undercoating.

I've used epoxy on one of my coils and found it to be a bit messy. The epoxy had to be mixed and then spread on the coil with a small brush. I used about a half a tube to coat the bottom of my coil. In some cases I've seen where it takes 3 tubes of epoxy.

Today I opted to check out the undercoating and bed liner spray. On the undercoating label it said that it also deadens sounds in the car when you use it. I decided against this as it may also deaden the frequency going into and back out of the ground. I don't know this for a fact, I'm just guessing here.

I decided on the truck bed liner spray. This stuff is great! You just shake it like a can of paint, hold it 24-30" away from the coil and spray. It dries in only 15 minutes after which you can apply a second coat if you want. It's guaranteed not to crack, chip or peel. You can probably do about 20 coils or more in the time it takes to do one with epoxy. This stuff also comes in different colors. My coil is black so I went with the black color. It makes the bottom of the coil look brand new as it has a nice textured finish. I may even spray over my epoxied coil just to make it look nicer.

I only do the bottom of my coils. The way I figure it is the top never gets scratched as much as the bottom. Yes sand will go over the top of the coil when you waist deep and waves are coming by you, but it's not with the same abrasiveness as scraping the coil on the sand. The tops of my coils get a quick spray of WD40, auto wax or Rainx and I wipe dry. This helps the water to bead and shed off the coil once I get it out of the water and it keeps my coil looking new.

Everyone has their preference and I'm curious which one you use, including if you still prefer using a coil cover.

The first two pictures are the products I used, the second is the epoxied coil and the last is the bed liner sprayed coil which is my favorite.

Attachments

• epoxytube.jpg
    epoxytube.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 298
  • linerspray2.jpg
    linerspray2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 297
  • coilepoxy2.jpg
    coilepoxy2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 298
  • coilspray2.jpg
    coilspray2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I have always just used the stock covers and removed it once and a while and hosed it off.
I been wondering if anybody ever tried silicone as you could strip it off if necessary as to not void warranties and to change the cover. You know a bead around the cover edge.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mat ....Over the years I've tried all three including having commercial bed liner shops spray my coils......But have settled on the aerosol spray on bedliner because it's convenient, I can do it myself and it's almost indestructible. I apply it to the bottom and 3/4 of the way up the sides. I feel a little on the sides help protect the coil from rocks. Over the years coil covers have driven me crazy,especially in rough water. Seems like I have to clean them every 30 minutes to prevent falsing. Using silicone to seal the edge of the cover only lasts until it starts to leak. The silicone is a real pain to cut and peel off and time consuming especially if it needs to be done while you're at the beach......rdi

Crash620

Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, New York
Foilman said:
I have always just used the stock covers and removed it once and a while and hosed it off.
I been wondering if anybody ever tried silicone as you could strip it off if necessary as to not void warranties and to change the cover. You know a bead around the cover edge.

Been there...done that.... they leak and cause more aggravation. Did a very careful job sealing the coil cover with silicone. Used it twice and noticed a small trickle of water coming out from the seal. There was a small pinhole that was invisible to the naked eye, but the pressure changes were enough to force water inside. When I pulled the cover off, there was a significant amount of salt water inside. After that, I epoxied the bottom and added a couple of coats of bed liner to finish it off. Just remember to make several thin coats and allow adequate time for the coats to dry all the way through or it may peel or get damaged if you touch it. (Surface may look dry but may be wet underneath if applied to thick)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done epoxy, going to do the truck bed spray next.

Just remember, if it still has one, it does void the coil warranty.............I have only done my coils no longer under warranty. Some buyers if you go to sell may shy away........I personally perfer it over covers....

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I think a test patch of the material your are using is in order. I would spray a thick layer on some cardboard and do some tests to see if there is any adverse affect. While on active duty I worked on electrical systems on helo's which had many ant's. We had to use special paint so not to affect the signal. I would try this myself but all my machines are currently down. Best to all, Mike

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
I just expoyed mine, and so far am happy with it, i understood that i had voided my warranty for my coil... my decision.. had several prates recommend it... see how it goes for me.. thats a decision that only you can make for yourself. all the best, shaka Mikey :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab says it voids the warranty on the coil.......... I only have one detector under warranty, I haven't used anything on its coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions