Rock Point Mexico and Mexico in General

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be going to Rocky Point (Puntos de Piedras) and thot maybe taking a detector for a little beach detecting. Anyone got the G2 on going there? Also, detecting in Mexico in general.

For example - do they allow detecing on beaches etc.?

Any problem getting detectors into Mexico?

Any input would be appreciated ...

Happy TH Finding!
Goldfinder

Upvote 0

scoutingbear

Jun 28, 2005
I will be heading down to Cabo in August for my first vacation in Mexico. Although I have not been there, this is what I have heard.

1. Getting a detector into the country is no problem. Some pack it, some hand carry it. If you are going to hand carry one, make sure that the airline will allow it and explain what it is as you are going through the check points.

2. Detecting on the beaches is allowed but I have heard that some beaches may be privately owned so therefore, it is good to check with the hotel before detecting. I have not been able to confirm this.

3. Detecting in Mexico, inland is a different story. I have been told that you have to be careful if you plan on detecting aroung any sites that might contain artifacts from the past. I have not been able to get an exact idea on what exactly is needed or allowed but if you plan on doing some inland, I would surely check it out with the local authorities before heading out.

That is about all I know for now. I should know more once I have been there and returned in late August.

A

ArizonaWren

Rocky Point is a free port, if you are driving you can drive right on through the border without needing to stop and get a "permiso" so bringing a detector will not be a problem. If you are going much farther than Puerto Penaso you will need a "permiso".

Most of Sandy Beach, the good beach, where the new resorts are being built is privately owned by one family or at least was last I heard. I believe you would not have any problem detecting there and it is a great beach too. I was there a month back for an offroad race and was kicking myself for not bringing a detector along.

I think your going to have a great time.
- Wren

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be careful - been hearing lot of bad stories lately from mex.
family just found dead in room and been hearing bout lot of attacks on tourists
I was gonna go down next month - changed pplans for now - in past I never had any probs
good luck - be safe
you can find a story I did hear
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

some mex. finds - mostly from water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread