PI and interference

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Hey all I was wondering are PI machines specifically susceptive to EM interference? I was at kellyco the other day and the new Whites PI I could not get stable at all. Salesman said it was due to interference indoors. Also I got my tesoro Sandshark and I can actually hear a ~60 hz pulse in certain areas of my lawn (underground power here), and general erratic noise in my house.

I'm hoping that will go away when @ the beach :).

Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
No interference at the beach, but you will get it just from the black sand or the salt water. But you'll get used to it and tell the difference.

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
In Va Beach there's about a 3 block area between 24th and 27th streets where my Sank Shark gets unstable every time. Lots of false signals at the end of a swing and general chattering. True signals still ring true, though. Decreasing sensitivity doesn't help. It's not the end of my hunt, just aggravating.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Yes, PI machines commonly have worse interference than induction-balance machines. On the induction-balance (VLF) the designer goes to great lengths to make the receiver only sensitive to the particular frequency the transmitter is sending. This automatically cuts out a lot of potential interference. For boring technical reasons, the PI must pick up most audible frequencies. That makes it more likely to be interfered with.

Chip V.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had any effect my Infinium. I air test it often in the house and nothing in here bothers it. I does depend on the coil from what I here. The monocoils tend to be effected and the DD coils not so much.

OP
OP
nudels

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
DaChief said:
I have not had any effect my Infinium. I air test it often in the house and nothing in here bothers it. I does depend on the coil from what I here. The monocoils tend to be effected and the DD coils not so much.

I ended up trying almost all the UW machines there that day, The pulses that did OK despite the indoors was the Garrett Infinium and the Headhunter Pulse. The Whites just chirped and chirped and chirped and etc.. It sensed things but not near the depth I would imagine, probably because it was busy trying to compensate for the interference.

The Excal was pretty sweet as a detector, and it discriminated well, but it was a bit out of my price range at least for now :). Sea hunter was neat and accurate with my gold ring versus iron chunk. Fishers pulse was there too but the battery was dead :( so I didn't get to try that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread