Excalibur battery corrosion

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I posted this also in the Minelab forum and being that this was caused by in the water beach hunting....

I always and I mean always wash off my Excalibur 1000 after using it.  I even put it in the bathtub to make sure.  I had to leave for a business trip the other day and decided to pack away the machine.  Another words there is a lot of tender loving care with it.

The last piece that I was placing in the box was the battery.  I was wiping it off and noticed where the two little holes are for the connection had green corrosion on them.  I got some Rem Oil and sprayed them and wiped them out well.  But now I am worried that the corrosion will come back.  Is there anything else I could place on the battery connector so that it won't come back or continue???  I am worried that it could spread to the connector that goes to the main unit.

I love my Excal and will never part with it.  "From my cold dead hands"  I want it to last for as long as possible, that is why I take care of it. 

Any advice will help.  I hope this hasn't been posted before.

Thank you all.

HH

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jud , Hows the weather way down there, Any way i use Dielectric Silicone Compound (Ancor) Very, Very, little on the male & female ends, Take care my friend ...............Cotton

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you nudels and cotton. I'll try your ideas.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey J Also check with RDI he's well versed on the excal and problem solving . And a great guy to boot.. he would be more than happy to advise ... Gary

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary, I'll send him over an email. Leave me some goodies for when I come back...please.

Take care and thanks again.

Jud

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You got it J,,, You have safe trip Bud. Cotton and and I will try to leave a little Cheese for ya for when you get back.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: gary

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cotton has it right I know from reading all the posts most of the guys use silicone grease

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the advice.

HH

May 31, 2008
Lake City, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 II, Ace 250, Gold Bug 2, Fisher 1265-X, C&G Bobcat, Previously Garrett Groundhog and Bounty Hunter RB 10
I was curious about which grease Minelab used, so I called the Minelab guy. He said they were shipped with a light coat of grease, but he didn't know which brand or type. Figures. I work with electronics, and I apply a small amount of Novagard G624 silicone compound. Just something I had on hand. I would suggest you remove the corrosion the best you can, and apply a small amount of dielectric silicone grease. I put a little on the threads of the battery compartment also. The brand you use is not critical, but be careful that you don't use a silicone sealing compound by mistake. HH, Bob

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bob

I left the ends coated with oil when I left. I cleaned them the best that I could in a panic mood. I'll get them coated with grease once I'm back home.

I guess it's one of those learning experiences.

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use silicone grease found in Home Depot's plumbing department.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
This brings up a point.How many people unfasten the battery connection BEFORE they rinse.
When I first noticed this in the manual, it struck me that I may have forgotten this at first.
You think of it as a sealed connection,so why rinse? But corrosion can set in there if not
risnsed each time inside and around the terminals.Then dry afterwards.I do the same as JP,
and submerge the detector in fresh water each time,not a light rinse.HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions