Detector Pro Pirate 10" in the sand?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Detector Pro Pirate 10" in the sand?

For the Detector Pro Beach Hunters, I just emailed Detector Pro about the Pirate model and they replied that it could detect a quarter at 10" in dry sand.

Anyone own one and care to comment on that claim? I'm thinking of getting one for a wader for the occasional beach trip. I use the Tesoro Silver uMax on land and am very pleased with it.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: Detector Pro Pirate 10" in the sand?

Hey guys - - help me out!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been reading up on them and don't seem bad for the price.

But, like yourself, I'm curious about how it works and the performance. I downloaded the manual and searched the internet. This left me with even more questions.

Someone mentioned this model on one of the other strings.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had one and used it a couple times before I sold it to bridge end farms here. I was surprised and happy with it. I found jewelry first time out, lots of clad, and it worked well in an area that was full of iron I just turned the disc. up until it nulled out. For the price I was super happy with it. The headphones are square and a bit heavy, not so bad though. The shaft to the coil connection is a bit wobbly but you should be able to modify it. It was picking up coins I would say around 6-8" no problems. I sold it because I wanted a underwater machine. When I got out about waist deep with it I noticed it falsed on me some, up a little past knee deep and no problems.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

MY BUDDY USES ONE IN FRESH WATER LAKES WITH GREAT SUCSESS....SOME SALT BEACHES IT GETS A LITTLE NOISY BUT ....FOR THE PRICE IT CAN'T BE BEAT!!!!!! THE DEPTH WAS VERY GOOD ALSO 8"-10" ON QUARTERS SEEM ABOUT RIGHT!!! BUY IT!! IT WILL FIND ENOUGH LOOT TO UP GRADE :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why bother saving to upgrade when you can upgrade right away and save what you spend on the Detector Pro. This detector works fine in fresh water, but in saltwater it has trouble at most beaches in the wet sand and water because of the salt and the black sand that is present near the water. Hence the saying,
SOME SALT BEACHES IT GETS A LITTLE NOISY BUT ....FOR THE PRICE IT CAN'T BE BEAT!!!!!!

A much better option that doesn't false is almost impossible no matter what you pay now. But some are better than others most times like PI's, Minelabs, and Tiger Sharks or Beach Hunter ID's. You have to pay a little more for quality, there is no way around it............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree with Sandman, I believe the going price on a new Pirate is about $300. Why not invest a little more money and not have to upgrade anytime soon. If you can't afford a newer mid range or higher water machine, there are lots of good used detectors out there. Check out a used Beach hunter ID, Excal or the Sand Shark, they are out there, if it was me I would look for one. It is just my personal opinion, but a good used detector from a respectible member of one of the boards is a lot better investment when you can't swing the cost of a new detector.

If you buy one of the higher detectors, a good used detector, you will have a lot more detector for you money, and you lose a lot less when you go to upgrade or sale. As examble I have seen used BHID for $500 in good shape, and some have transferable warranty, seen good used Excals for $600 that is a lot better investment in my opinion, and I know you can get close to 75% to 90% of your money back if you want to sell or trade it down the road....

I have bought 2 new detectors and 7 used since I started. Not one of the used detectors arrived with any problems and every one worked like it should. I sold 2 of my used detectors, one for what I paid for it, the other for 92% of what I had in it, and that doesn't take into consideration the finds with them.............I traded the Whites Beach Hunter ID I bought new for my first Minelab Sovereign GT with the WOT coil (new) and got 71% of my investment back on the trade-in. :thumbsup:

My July 4th finds the gold alone almost paid for my used water-proofed ML Sovereign GT I bought, and thats not counting the stones they held. My Whites XL PRO has paid for itself, the Fisher1235X has paid for itself, the Excal has paid for itself. The Whites Beach Hunter ID found a nice Diamond ring on the 3rd week I owned it, a couple more gold rings plus it's trade in value when I traded it.

A good quality detector is an investment that pays dividends in diamonds, rubies, emeralds, gold and silver.......

That is the advice I would give a family member or personal friend.....

Just the personal opinion of a 2 year newbie................................

Good luck and good hunting.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Sandman said:
Why bother saving to upgrade when you can upgrade right away and save what you spend on the Detector Pro. This detector works fine in fresh water, but in saltwater it has trouble at most beaches in the wet sand and water because of the salt and the black sand that is present near the water. Hence the saying,
SOME SALT BEACHES IT GETS A LITTLE NOISY BUT ....FOR THE PRICE IT CAN'T BE BEAT!!!!!!

A much better option that doesn't false is almost impossible no matter what you pay now. But some are better than others most times like PI's, Minelabs, and Tiger Sharks or Beach Hunter ID's. You have to pay a little more for quality, there is no way around it............ VERY TRUE....YOU BUY ONE OF THE TOP 3 OR 4 SALT WATER DETECTORS WITH GOLD WHAT IT IS THEY WILL PAY FOR THEMSELVES IN A SHORT TIME :thumbsup: MAYBE THE FIRST HUNT!!! WHEN I MADE THE LEAP IN TO THE WATER DETECTOR CLUB...MAX FROM VA BEACH SAID....LIFES TOO SHORT TO USE LESS ABLE DETECTORS...OR SOME THING TO THAT TUNE.....I HAD BEEN BEACH HUNTING WITH A MODIFIED CLASSIC III...WE GOT A MASSIVE NOR'EASTER I HIT THE AM LOW....WELL MY WATER PROTECTING COVER STARTED TO FAIL...SHE STARTED TO GO NUTS FALSING ECT.....SO I MADE THE LEAP TO THE BEACH HUNTER ID...IN 20MIN THAT SAME DAY PM LOW TIDE AT SALISBURY BEACH MASS. I GOT A HONKER OF A 18K GOLD MENS RING WITH A EMERALD SUROUNDED BY 26 DIAMONDS AND 6 BAGETS ON THE SIDE!!!! IN THE NEXT HOUR I GOT A 30" GOLD ROPE CHAIN 14K W/A GOLD NUGGET PENDANT 14K...THEN A HUGE SIZE 15/16 CENTRAL CATHOLIC HIGH CLASS OF 1936 10K RING...ALSO ABOUT 30 SILVER COINS.......DETECTOR PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!! BUT THAT WAS PURE LUCK....THAT STORM DID THE WORST BEACH DAMAGE SINCE THE 78 BLIZZARD.....WHAT EVER YOU SPEND YOU'LL GET BACK!!! LOOK INTO THE NEW BEACH HUNTER ID 300!!!!

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

I think I'm going to skip the Detector Pro and go with a new Sand Shark or a used Excal.

As always, I appreciate the good feedback and advice. You guys are really cool to share your this info and your experience so selfishly.

Thanks again,
Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread