What is the best machine for lighter gold in saltwater?

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i have no problem with mine as i have been saying for some time i must have a sweet excall. But any way how long have you been using the excall. Is it your first date . Once you under stand what she is telling you .you will then get to first base.

Steve in Cali.

Sep 6, 2007
The Excal does not detect thin gold chains very well. The links on the chain have to be pretty big or the clasp needs to be big for the Excal to detect it at any depth.

I've read that some pulse induction machines work better for small gold.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
my Excal ll wont,but my Tesoro Tiger Shark will !

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Yup, the TS is the King of small gold! Joe

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read that the Garrett Infinium LS is really good at small gold. It's a PI so it grabs lots of other things as well. I'm planning on it being my next machine, just as soon as my wife authorizes it. ;D

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foilman said:
Well an excal won't, at least not in discriminate mode, in fact it sucks at it.
Will it find it in pinpoint mode?
I am talking about lighter bracelets and necklaces.

So what about other machines? Is there such a machine?
It is call Aquasound.The best water machine in the world.
381169108_2fc14c7457_b.jpg

381169300_a097da3e3e_b.jpg

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikeDahms said:
Where do I get an aquasound? Is it a pi machine? Thank you, Mike.
It is TR machine.
Where you hunting?Witch state?

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I was leaning toward a Tiger Shark but people on here said it was shaky in the salt :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buligarian really tears up the beaches with his Aquasound making some outstanding finds, but the cost of the Aquasound is rather high.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I sold 4 of my detectors I could probably afford to buy it.

I personally don't care if I dont find a thin gold chain, they don't weigh much anyway, long as I keep finding those big gold rings and occasional diamonds ........... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Well people say it won't find thin chains.
If air tests mean anything and people debate it all the time, I just tried a 11.6 gram 14k twisted rope and no sound no how no way. Flat, balled up nothing even rubbing the coil. But yet a small pendant or gold ring it air tests at least a few inches, so Treasure Hunter you might be missing more than you think, or maybe my machine is defective. It bothers me that I can rub the coil with 11.6 grams and nothing that's awful.

P.S. I tried, Auto and High Sensitivity and Pinpoint and discriminate. In pinpoint it made a little fuzzy hiss no real signal or tone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foilman, I have found very small gold ladies rings and gold stud earrings with mine, a gold lobster clasp from a gold necklace or bracelet as well. I have pulled tiny rings from well over 8 inches with both my Excal and my Sovereign GT's in the surf.

It is well known that chains and bracelets are one of the hardest targets to locate as they are seen as individual links unless they are grouped all together in a pile.

To each his own, I personally have no concerns what so ever about my Minelabs finding gold or missing gold. The only detector I would consider trading up to for the water is the Aquasound......I have no desire to dig holes to china for bobby pins, so until they come up with a PI that has good discrimination for iron, I am very continent with my Minelabs. Every time one of my Minelab nulls, I know that is one less target I would have had to dig with a PI. On the beaches here are lots of small pieces of iron.....

If a person isn't happy with their detector I believe they should trade it or sell it and get one they like. I got tired of my Whites Beach Hunter ID leaking, and although I like the unit itself, I traded it in on my first Sovereign GT with a WOT coil....

I do enjoy buying, and playing with different land detectors, after playing with them I sell them, but when I head to the beach to hunt I take 3 detectors with me, my waterproofed Sov GT with WOT coil, another Sov GT with a WOT and my Excal.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Foilman, I have found very small gold ladies rings and gold stud earrings with mine, a gold lobster clasp from a gold necklace or bracelet as well. I have pulled tiny rings from well over 8 inches with both my Excal and my Sovereign GT's in the surf.

It is well known that chains and bracelets are one of the hardest targets to locate as they are seen as individual links unless they are grouped all together in a pile.

To each his own, I personally have no concerns what so ever about my Minelabs finding gold or missing gold. The only detector I would consider trading up to for the water is the Aquasound......I have no desire to dig holes to china for bobby pins, so until they come up with a PI that has good discrimination for iron, I am very continent with my Minelabs. Every time one of my Minelab nulls, I know that is one less target I would have had to dig with a PI. On the beaches here are lots of small pieces of iron.....

If a person isn't happy with their detector I believe they should trade it or sell it and get one they like. I got tired of my Whites Beach Hunter ID leaking, and although I like the unit itself, I traded it in on my first Sovereign GT with a WOT coil....

I do enjoy buying, and playing with different land detectors, after playing with them I sell them, but when I head to the beach to hunt I take 3 detectors with me, my waterproofed Sov GT with WOT coil, another Sov GT with a WOT and my Excal.
Well done my friend.You are 100% Right.

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Treasure Hunter,

I have no beef with you or anybody else. This was more of an FYI for you. If you are happy good. I am not thrilled to scan 11.6grams and get no signal, but weighing my options, I agree with your synopsis of the current situation.

Cotton,

I never dated any electronic objects, I'm just sayin' :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to wade in on this one.....

I had two Excals, a 800 and 1000, I used the 800 for diving mainly because it was mounted on the short dive shaft. Both detectors would find small earring backs, earring studs in fresh or saltwater, however they were lacking in sounding off on thin gold chains unless there was a larger clasp or pendant. Why they would report on a smaller earring back and not the gold chain must have to do with the surface amount of the chain on those tine links. It doesn't see the whole chain and add up the links.

The Tiger Shark now is hot on even the thin gold chains. Like Treasure Hunter said, there is very little weight and a BB makes a louder sound than most of the Iffy signals you would pass up with other detectors. If we went on "Point" on every tick sound we could be digging bird shot forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread