Beach Scoops (Again)

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
OK I know what the best water scoops are but what about scoops that pick up damp sand on the dry side of the beach. I have a hand scoop and when I get damp sand its a real bear to sift the sand through the wholes (a whole lot of shakin) anyway I was looking at the basket style scoops like the RTG 's but I guess my question is how do you dig with it and how easy is it ? If I use my foot to get deep penetration it looks like I would bend the basket! So what do the experienced people use? and how do you use it ? thanks for your time!!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Beach Brute II no matter where I am hunting on the beach, from chest deep to the seawall. If I am a ways from the water and cant wash my bucket to locate target, I dump the bucket of sand on the ground when I no longer have the target at spot of first hit and divide it with my foot in to quarters and scan with coil, find the quarter that has my target and divide again and scan. I locate it quickly this way. This only takes a few seconds.

I have the Viba probe 570, I rare take it with me any longer, it is one less thing to carry in the water.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use my diamond back scoop, I have another one with holes a little bigger, but I think the wet sand is tough with any scoop. If you are in the wet sand then you have to be right next to the water, so when your target is in the scoop why not just rinse it in the water, a couple shakes in the water and the sand is gone and your target is there....

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaBill said:
when your target is in the scoop why not just rinse it in the water, a couple shakes in the water and the sand is gone and your target is there....

That's what I do, but sometimes I wait until there are several found targets in the scoop. I have tried many different things including having the target in the scoop, pouring the contents out, and then with sand in my hand passing it by the loop. The easiest way if you're close to the water is just stick the scoop in the water, 3 seconds finished.

I hope someone has a better idea or a better scoop.

HH

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dump the scoop out of waters reach and run the coil over it then move some sand with my foot until I have it in one spot then I pick through it. I use to carry my vibraphone since its waterproof but I don't do that anymore cause it went floating past me in the water one day.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
I use to carry my vibraphone since its waterproof but I don't do that anymore cause it went floating past me in the water one day.

LOL. I had the same thing sorta. I carry a waterproof cell pouch attached to my fines pouch with my van keys and sometimes my cell in it, when I am on call. One day I'm in the water waist deep and see it floating past me where the lanyard had come undone. I now attach it to me with two lanyards......

OP
OP
thorny196

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
I'm not close enough to the water to dip the scoop but the detector goes pretty deep so I am always shaking out damp heavy granular sand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thorny196,

If you never go in the water, pick up a probe, it will help you. I have 2 one is the vibra Probe 570, the other is the DetectorPro Uniprobe.

The DetectorPro is the best and will detect 6 inches, wand is water proof and comes with a headset that you plug your detector in and replaces the headset you use with the detector. The Vibra Probe is waterproof but will only detect about 1-2 inches.

Check them out.............

OP
OP
thorny196

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter when I saw your response I though "Yea that's a good idea" then I saw the price yowsa!!!! anyway the uniprobes a little pricey maybe I will try the vibra probe but I wanted to thank all who responded with some very good information I will certainly give it some thought !! R/Mike

willia in tex

Greenie
Jan 29, 2006
This is the main reason I don't hunt the wet sand that often, and when I do I try to make sure there is water real close by, or that the waves come up to where I am every so often. There is a certain time when I only hunt the wet sand, It is in the winter and the beach has a certain slope to it. then I use my sov. with a pinpointer and a 18' digging tool.hh willia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions