So much for beach renourishment.... lol

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been outspoken on the fact that beach renourishment doesn't work. I have been watching what this little storm has been doing and I'm not impressed. This is a weak tropical storm at best and people are screaming that our beaches are gone. Well, they are half right.
The fact is.... the beach where they have added sand is gone, but it's just back to the original sand line. The beach less than 2 miles south is perfectly fine. It has very little if any thing gone from it. You can't pump sand that's not of the same grade on a beach, not compact it, and expect it to stay in place when the first wave over 4 feet hits it. I'm all for letting mother natural do as she pleases, but if we are going to throw millions of dollars to a project.... why not do it right?

Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, I was wondering how that was going it seems like throwing good money after bad to me :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Hangingfor8

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well another crazy thing is... It's sort of a double wammy for the beach and the sea turtles, because the turtles layed eggs on the new sand and now they are all gone.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guess we'll have to take up a collection for the renourishment and let the schools slide..................................again. Renourishment is just another way of saying "redistributing the wealth", with out a beach those condos just wouldn't be the same, would they?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing how dumb city hall folks can be or just the average person. The average IQ is dropping fast.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i deleted my ugly comment. i will let the more level headed post in this thread! :cussing:

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
davest said:
guess we'll have to take up a collection for the renourishment and let the schools slide..................................again. Renourishment is just another way of saying "redistributing the wealth", with out a beach those condos just wouldn't be the same, would they?

I watched in horror as they did this renourishment to the beach where I live. It turned the once aqua color water to the color of chocolate milk and it stunk to high heaven. The sand that they pumped onto the beach is full of trash, I mean full! I watched last night and some this morning as Mother Nature laughed and slapped the beach with large waves.

They also don't want bright lights on the beach, it confuses the turtles but yet they have generators with huge bright spotlights so they can work and pump sand at night, I guess it's ok for them to do it but not anyone else.

What's funny to me is a few miles north where there are no beachside condos only dunes and sea oats, it is not needed. The dunes do their job and the oats as well as they hold it all together.

Sure they can close schools but spend millions doing this??? WTF????/ ???

Hey maybe I am wrong but I don't see the good in this. Ok I am done now. ;D

UPDATED
I just went to the beach for a look. This is looking south. The ledge is about 3.5 feet. It looks like about 5 feet of it is gone. It was all of the sand pumped onto the beach.
beach.jpg

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called good, hard, tax payers money flushed down the toilet. Of course the money, here in Florida, could have been used for something not so good like maybe helping less fortunate people with an education or senior citizens who don't have a ride to the grocery store or the doctor. I say spend millions if not billions to re-sand the beaches so it can be washed away every few months. It's called money well spent.... :tard:

On a serious note, it's complete stupidity that they continue to do this. My family and I went to the east coast last year for a few days. I couldn't stand the smell of the re-sanded area. There was rotten vegetation and other garbage all mixed in, including broken glass and aluminum cans, what a vacation. By the way, we haven't gone back. Maybe it was done to keep away tourists.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach sand looks and behaves differently than the CRAP our "coastal engineers" dump on our beaches. They obviously never took beach mechanics 101, yet we pay them big buck$ to waste additional millions. You know who they rely on for information? The dredging company! Then the Corps of Engineers. Their "I work for the county so I know what I'm doing" attitude is unacceptable.

Yr. Obd. Srvnt. did his undergraduate thesis on east coast beach erosion 30 some years ago..this stuff ain't rocket surgery. I'm appalled at the ignorance of our paid county employees who are supposed to be experts in their field. Are you reading this Ms. Fitzpatrick?? (coastal engineer for Martin County)

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Sandman said:
It is amazing how dumb city hall folks can be or just the average person. The average IQ is dropping fast.

Rent the movie "Idiocracy", it's a comedy about the theory of sliding IQ and it's impact on society.

OP
OP
Hangingfor8

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just took a look this morning.... More new sand is almost all gone. I love it!!!! May the state and city people should hit the books before doing this crap again :icon_study:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Hangingfor8 said:
I just took a look this morning.... More new sand is almost all gone. I love it!!!! May the state and city people should hit the books before doing this crap again :icon_study:

That implies that they know how to read..........................................

:icon_jokercolor: :icon_study:

Ray S

SandFiddler

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's BHID
davest said:

Unfortunately, most ocean front property is owned by the well- connected. They just use your tax money to pump sand.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I have a canal, or I call it a big ditch next to my property. It has eroded away and gotten bigger over the years. So their easement has gotten smaller. Did they renourish that? No they cut one of my trees in half and killed it.
I called to complain, and they said they had to so they could get the trucks and mowers thru and that was their easement. So I put up a fence right on my property line. They were out surveying the next week. I would say they have some work to do now. ;D

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Dirt Fishin Dale said:
I have a canal, or I call it a big ditch next to my property. It has eroded away and gotten bigger over the years. So their easement has gotten smaller. Did they renourish that? No they cut one of my trees in half and killed it.
I called to complain, and they said they had to so they could get the trucks and mowers thru and that was their easement. So I put up a fence right on my property line. They were out surveying the next week. I would say they have some work to do now. ;D

LOL WTG

Ray S

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
One of my big concerns is what that pumped in sand is doing to the sealife farther out as it
drifts seaward.The bottom farther out seams to be changing and the sand will eventually
cover the coral farther out on both sides of the state.Where small offshore reefs where,there
is very little left.I hope someone from the state is keeping a eye on what is happening below
the surface,instead of just the parts you can see(the beach).Not nice to mess with mother nature.
JMHO HH Joe

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
JoeSWFla said:
One of my big concerns is what that pumped in sand is doing to the sealife farther out as it
drifts seaward.The bottom farther out seams to be changing and the sand will eventually
cover the coral farther out on both sides of the state.Where small offshore reefs where,there
is very little left.I hope someone from the state is keeping a eye on what is happening below
the surface,instead of just the parts you can see(the beach).Not nice to mess with mother nature.
JMHO HH Joe

So you will be able to wade out to the gulf stream soon?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread