Chinese made Detector

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Day All...I figure this machine will be blasted, but I got a real good deal on a "cheap" water machine. I haven't received it yet, but should be in this week. It is the one and only Cobra Beach Magnet. I have owned quite a few machines and yes, a lot of cheap ones. Even these cheap machines has been able to perform at least fair. Guess that is the least I am hoping for in this one.

Now, just wanting to see if someone has used one of these recently and if they were even mildly satisfied? I know about all the high end water machines, but the price is outta range for me at this time. Thanks for any input...good or BAD..lol HH all.

Upvote 0

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought all metal detectors are made in China. Even the Excaliburs are now made in China.

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubasalvor said:
I thought all metal detectors are made in China. Even the Excaliburs are now made in China.
hahaha...I think you probably right on the nose...at least the other ones try and cover their tracks..

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a Garrett Dealer but use the Infinium PI machine. I researched the company before I purchased the product and was impressed that it is still an American Made product.

The following information is on their website and I confirmed it through the State of Texas before buying my machine. There were several things that drew me to the Garrett brand for a water machine. This was a small part of those things in total. I have also used White's brands for many years and Tesoro. I believe that they are mostly if not exclusively American made. I am currently using a Minelab Sovereign land machine. It was made in Australia. I know the company has recently changed hands and I cannot speak of where they are now made but I believe it is still in Australia.

Recent Garrett News:

Garrett is featured on John Ratzenberger’s hit TV series Made in America, which airs on the Discovery Network’s Travel Channel.
Garrett Metal Detectors is honored with the Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center (TMAC) Award of Excellence.
Texas Congressman Sam Johnson joins Charles Garrett and company officials for the groundbreaking ceremonies for the company’s expansion.

Construction is underway at 1881 W. State Street in Garland to expand Garrett’s facilities to 100,000 square feet. Once completed, the Garrett home office will house an enlarged treasure hunting museum, a formal conference/training center for The Garrett Academy of Metal Detection training, refurbished office space, and enlarged production and warehouse facilities.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
http://www.predatortools.com/DetectorPro/detectorpro.htm
Detectorpro - made in America.

http://www.detection.com/super/sale.html#tesoro\

Tesoro- made in America

http://www.whites-midatlantic.com/
All White's metal detectors are AMERICAN MADE in Sweet Home, Oregon.

http://www.accuratelocators.com/treasure_detectors.html
Accurate Detectors - American made

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=25041.0
Old discussion about what Made in America means. Assembled in Americs may be more accurate.

Never hurts to have too much information.....

I am sure that the Chinese model will work fine. Please keep us posted on your finds.

Ray S

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MY mom always said If you can't say anything nice about someone or SOMETHING , Keep your Big Yapper Shut . So in this case I'm gonna follow Moms advice ,,, Good luck with your new machine.. Guzz

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey...I actually have had that detector. It really isnt too bad, I never went into the water with it, but im not saying it couldnt. Since i was a beginner when i got it, it worked well for me

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guzz1 said:
MY mom always said If you can't say anything nice about someone or SOMETHING , Keep your Big Yapper Shut . So in this case I'm gonna follow Moms advice ,,, Good luck with your new machine.. Guzz
LOL...Love that response Guzz..
As soon as I get it, I'll let you know how it works...hopefully it will cut on.. :o

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Hi SC Hunter.... I got into this hobby with the Beach Magnet and still have it. I've only used in in fresh water lakes and it works fine for me. I didn't discover TreasureNet until after I bought it from KellyCo. It sounded like a good idea at the time as I wanted to try dry and wet detecting since I live next to a large lake. I wasn't sure that this was the hobby for me and didn't want to spend much to try it out. I make 4-5 trips to the gulf a year but haven't been able to try it in the salt water. Made a trip to Biloxi, MS last week but Fay developed while I was driving there and we got rained out. As it turns out, I love the hobby. Since most of my detecting is dirt fishing, I'll hang onto the Beach Magnet for the occasional wet trip. It does go deep but leaves a little to be desired in discriminating out the junk. Lots of luck and look forward to seeing your posts of your finds. HH

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HalfSpeed..I have been detecting for quite a few years but never did much at the beach. I just figured recently that I would do a little more. My son lives in Charleston, so I would have an excuse to go down a little more often. I usually use my other detectors at the beach but one doesn't do well in the wet sand and the other I'm afraid to get that close to the water with it..just in case my clumsy hands drop it. Then I would truly be sorry. I dig all sigs at the beach anyway..too easy not to for the most part. Thanks for the answer. I will let you know how it works near or in salt water.

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
:tard: :tongue3: :tard: Best Damn Water Machine Made :tard: :tongue3: :tard:

Thank God you speak fluent Chinese ... Cuz your gonna need It ... :thumbsup:
I know my most gudest friend from up MO way can decipher it for me...I have faith in you helping me out.. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
SC_hunter said:
HalfSpeed..I have been detecting for quite a few years but never did much at the beach. I just figured recently that I would do a little more. My son lives in Charleston, so I would have an excuse to go down a little more often. I usually use my other detectors at the beach but one doesn't do well in the wet sand and the other I'm afraid to get that close to the water with it..just in case my clumsy hands drop it. Then I would truly be sorry. I dig all sigs at the beach anyway..too easy not to for the most part. Thanks for the answer. I will let you know how it works near or in salt water.

I too use a Whites Eagle and Ace 250s in the wet and dry salt sand. They all do ok. I love the Eagle as it's pretty accurate in depth and identification of targets. Keep us posted on how the hunts go.

DIGGITALL

Nov 30, 2005
I bought a cobra beach magnet last summer and tried it a few times on dry land and it worked ok .I actually got it to take on my 2 week vacation on the island of Bonair south of Aruba when I took it to the beach the search coil was so heavy and the plastic rod that held the coil on broke before I could even get 50 ft needless to say I was dissappointed . i could not use it the rest of the trip I came home and called Kelleyco and they traded it out for me I know there are some that have them and use them and have no problems with it but it did not seat well with me . good luck with it I found it heavy I know the weight holds the head down in the water but on land that sucker is heavy!

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIGGITALL said:
I bought a cobra beach magnet last summer and tried it a few times on dry land and it worked ok .I actually got it to take on my 2 week vacation on the island of Bonair south of Aruba when I took it to the beach the search coil was so heavy and the plastic rod that held the coil on broke before I could even get 50 ft needless to say I was dissappointed . i could not use it the rest of the trip I came home and called Kelleyco and they traded it out for me I know there are some that have them and use them and have no problems with it but it did not seat well with me . good luck with it I found it heavy I know the weight holds the head down in the water but on land that sucker is heavy!
I have to agree with you on the weight. I also don't like the plastic portion near the coil....but, I took it out yesterday for about an hour and ended up with 4 pennies, 3 pulltabs, portion of beer can and little more assorted junk. It kinda surprised me on the depth...dug a few 5-6 inch holes to find the pulltabs. Actually, it seemed pretty good on pinpointing. It doesn't much matter on the discrimination for me. I dig all signals at the beach..to easy not to. If all goes well, I'm going to Charleston, Sunday, so I'll give it a shot at the beach. Thanks for all the info.

gallienus267

Jul 18, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet Fisher 1270
I had a Fisher 1280X for twenty + years and it gave me great service. It developed a broken wire in the coil so I sent it in. 500.00 or so dollars later I had it back. Long story short two years later it would not turn on with the on off switch so I sent it back. Fisher wanted another 500 + dollars to fix the switch. This was the straw that broke the camels back. The Cobra was way cheaper than the repair so I got one. Good in water but not so good on land. ( too heavy ) I had a few minor issues to fix after I got it. Bottom line though is that it works well and can find what more expensive detectors will find. Also it does not leak where my Fisher always did. Overall it gives me pleasure when I am hunting for treasures

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I too had a beach cobra,, out of the box it was heavy as all get out . so I boxed it back up and sold it. I never took it to the beach knowing I couldn't tote that thing around ..i bought it for 165.00 new ,, good deal.. Posts your first ring .. if your getting pull tabs you'll get gold with it .. Good luck Brother.. Guzz

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
gallienus267 said:
I had a Fisher 1280X for twenty + years and it gave me great service. It developed a broken wire in the coil so I sent it in. 500.00 or so dollars later I had it back. Long story short two years later it would not turn on with the on off switch so I sent it back. Fisher wanted another 500 + dollars to fix the switch. This was the straw that broke the camels back. The Cobra was way cheaper than the repair so I got one. Good in water but not so good on land. ( too heavy ) I had a few minor issues to fix after I got it. Bottom line though is that it works well and can find what more expensive detectors will find. Also it does not leak where my Fisher always did. Overall it gives me pleasure when I am hunting for treasures
You should have sent it to Keith Wills at .. www.brokendetector.com ..it would have cost you about $150.00 or even less and he is good............I think you guys are getting raped at repair cost like that.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions