help with choosing a water dector?

L

labnewbie

Hi,

Hope this is an ok place to ask this type of question; I live around tons of freshwater beaches in upstate NY and just"know" there are items waiting to be found.I use a sovereign on the beach and find tons of clad (and screw tops lol) Those of you with experience would you lean toward minelab??whites??or is there something else out there I'm not familiar with?Thanks in advance for any help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

labnewbie

Thank you for the in-depth info sandman.I am used to coin shooting with a minelab on land,so I will probably lean toward the excal.However, is the excal anything like the explorer as far as programming/setup ect....?I just purchased the explorer and WOW i turned it on and it sounded like a circus organ lol. Obviousely this will take some time.I would just hate to be in water trying to program and mash buttons!Again thanks so much for the insight, where else can you go to tap into 20 years + of detector knowledge...??

Best Regards

scoutingbear

Jun 28, 2005
I own an Excalibur 1000. My only complaint so far is it seems to break down more than others. This is from hear-say as I do not own another machine. And with a one year warrenty, you could be putting out some bucks. So far all my repairs have been covered but that ended two weeks ago.

A large coil is a must for wet water and under water hunting. Would hate to try and cover any ground with a 5 or 8" coil. I have a 10" stock on mine and wish it were larger. Since you will be working hard in the water, you want every sweep to count as much as possible.

Good luck with any choice you make.

Bear

P.S. and I am sure you are right, there are goodies to be found in your waters.

OP
OP
L

labnewbie

thanks for the info! what kind of breakdowns have you experienced? water in the electronics??

Best Regards

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Labnewbie welcome to the forum. I just had to chime in and say that I have been using the Excalibur 1000 for some time, and have only experienced one malfunction with my detector. That was an issue with the battery pod. I also had one of the knobs come off. That required me to have to tighten it down with an Allen wrench. Other than that, she has more than paid for herself with beach and underwater finds. All my underwater work has been in the open ocean, so I have not had the opportunity for any fresh water dives with the detector.
I see that you are in Rochester. That is my old stomping ground (Gates). Good luck and happy hunting!

Q

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ex-cal 1000 or the CZ20 with the 10 inch coil would be my choices (own both myself).

Good luck,

hh

Lonewolfe

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are hunting freshwater then a Fisher 1280X Aquanaut is a excellent metal detector :D. But if you hunt freshwater and saltwater then the Excaliber is the tops. I started with the Fisher but saltwater caused it to give false signals. The Minelab ignores salt and iron and I've used mine for 15 years with two breakdown. It will still detect a silver dime on its edge at 18 inches and its HOT on gold. I used it after Hurricane Jeanne on the east coast and recovered over 100 silver coins from dimes to 1/2 dollars ;D. It gives 3 tones: low for nickles, medium for pull tabs/ gold rings and high for clad quarters and silver or copper. I use an 8 inch coil and get that deep depth. The 10.5 coil is great but adds more weight :(. Good luck on your choice. ;D

Harry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread