Beware of Loose Line Going Out Into Ocean (long)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey water hunters did you see Lost treasure mag. June issue yet? Well there's an interesting article about the dangers of loose fishing line. I'll give you the cliff notes.
a) guy gets both feet tangled in fishing line along a pier while in water
b) he untangles feet and decides to remove from area
c) he wraps around his hand and starts pulling line in from ocean. 30 pound test or higher
d) suddenly he's knocked off balance and face down in water, by a very large fish on end of line. Fish starts pulling him side ways in the surf about 50 feet. he can't let go because of line around his hand
so many times.
e) He gets some line wrapped around his detector, and plants feet into sand with the fish still pulling him. Then fish heads out to sea and the line snaps. This guy is like 240 lbs.
f) his hands are cut and bleeding from fishing line, and another very valuable lesson is learned.

As an experienced surf fisherman - here's what I think happened. There was no fish on line at start but as he pulled line in - the lure attracted a large fish. Sparking objects attract fish. The fish hit the lure and was instantly hooked - probably treble hooks, maybe a hopkins lure. Then the fish tried to escape being on this line.

If you think this is not possible - one night I was fishing off NJ shoreline with 30 pd test and a 10 foot rod with a thick tip at top. It was just about dark. All of the sudden, my rod bend down and pointed straight out to sea almost at a 45 degree angle. It was all I could do to hold on to the rod, and I am not small or weak. I've never seen a surf rod do this before or since then. I had to lean backwards to keep from being pulled into surf and my drag was set to high. Then the line snapped and I landed on my as$. Although I don't know what I had - assume a cow striper or large shark. I've caught stripers, rays, and 3-4' sand sharks... and none of them had this kind of power.

Guy now says always carry a knife. Good story. Think before you act... Fish rule the sea, you are only a visitor.

Attachments

• FullRodDown-prototype-rot.JPG
    FullRodDown-prototype-rot.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • RodClose-prototype-rot.JPG
    RodClose-prototype-rot.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
J

jmadden99

Scuba Diver's Know

As a scuba diver I have seen loose fishing line multiple times, as a metal detectorist I have found numerous pieces of fishing tackle. You will never see an experienced scuba diver, dive without a knife. I always carry two. If you think you can break the line with your hands, think again, after being in the water for awhile your skin softens up. If you do not want to carry a knife, a set of the "super scissors" that you can get at most hardware stores is a great alternative (they're the ones you've probably seen on tv where the guy cuts a penny in half).
But all this being said, laying on the bottom with my Excalibur in one hand and a newly found gold ring in the other is worth a little fishing line from time to time (when your prepared for it that is).

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It's amazing how most people have to learn the hard way! Inland waterways, creeks and rivers also have their hazards, the venerable trotline. Wading through these can give you a little concern when there's already two or three big ol' flatheads on one. If the line is not secured properly, the fish move, dragging it across your lower limbs with an array of hooks attached. This happened to me once but I did not get hooked and now am somewhat more cautious in the search.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I was lobster diving off the east end of the Cape Code canal and got all tangled up in mackerel jigs. (one diamond jig with five smaller flies in line.) I had several in my suit and catch bag. I couldnt get to my knife on my leg and had to use the small one I keep on my regulator console. My wife said all the fishermen just backed away when I climbed out of the water and up on the jetty to cut my self loose. (I cant figure why I only had a knife in my hand and was saying how pleased I was that the fishermen had left all these nice lures for me to get caught up in) At least thats the way I remember it! (My wife has a different version but she tends to exagerate.) Oh yah two knives are needed you never know when your legs will be tangled and you cant reach that knife. Cladius.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG