shallow or hot water?

islandwheels

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I don't suppose you can hunt in shallow water from Bonsteel to Ft Pierce without getting in hot water ??? So how close to this area does anyone feel comfortable to hunt in shallow water? or rather where is it possible to get in the surf to hunt along the central and souh east coastline? Or do you just need to stay a certain distance away from the lat and long of the known wrecks?
Larry C.

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Remember, we have about a 3 foot tide range. Not much but it helps. Go at low tide when the former shallow water is wet sand. Or check the tide table for extra low (negative) tides, and plan to go on the lowest of the low.

Chip V.

pat35

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2006
I would like to know the boundaries too. I live in Stuart and it sucks not being able to go in the water with my excal.

OP
OP
islandwheels

islandwheels

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Hey, I've read in, "Hurricane Treasure" the warning that says, "you may not use a metal detector in the water, i]in the area of the wreck sites". Also I remember an older website (that I can't locate anymore) that listed the 1715 wrecks lat and long along with the comment that according to Florida law that there was a protection zone of a 3000' radius or diameter around each site, can't quite remember. So that begs the question is this true and if so what constitutes 'the area'? which is either defined in law somewhere or else left to legal exploration and interpretion. Perhaps the defined center of the wreck possibly. Does that make sense to anyone? Does anyone remember or know of the web page I'm referring to?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I would not go "into" the water, work the wet sand to the water line. Remember they can confiscate your detector and vehicle if they wanted to get nasty........

The few inches of additional water hunting would not be worth the cost of the legal fees to try to fight for their return.

good luck and good hunting.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
islandwheels said:
Hey, I've read in, "Hurricane Treasure" the warning that says, "you may not use a metal detector in the water, i]in the area of the wreck sites". Also I remember an older website (that I can't locate anymore) that listed the 1715 wrecks lat and long along with the comment that according to Florida law that there was a protection zone of a 3000' radius or diameter around each site, can't quite remember. So that begs the question is this true and if so what constitutes 'the area'? which is either defined in law somewhere or else left to legal exploration and interpretion. Perhaps the defined center of the wreck possibly. Does that make sense to anyone? Does anyone remember or know of the web page I'm referring to?

This is the link...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,16144.0.html

Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst word to the wize in the 1715 fleet vessel wreck areas * stop at the water line on nearby beaches--stay outta the water areas near the vessel areas with a detector *-- and if you must go in the water to eyeball stuff -- do not take a detector with you (cuz then your not asking for it your begging for it)-- the folks down there PAY a good deal of money ($1000 per season and up to sublease) for those lease rights --so I would expect them to protect their rights that they PAID money for -- I know I would --- wouldn't you ? and the local cops / marine patrol have no sense of humor on these matters .

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone ever paid a $1000 dollars to hunt the water, say from the shallow water to the first reef? It'd cost four guys $250 a piece, plus the cost of a Brownie 3rd Lung with double 50 foot hoses, two guys underwater and two guys tending the hookha. But there is probably more politics involved otherwise someone would have done it by now. ???

OP
OP
islandwheels

islandwheels

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I concur that we need to be law abiding, and naturally those that have invested in joining the band wagon for lease rights obviously have a vested interest in excluding others on their 'leased sites' . If though the leased sites end with a 3000' radius of a gps position on a wreck site (if it does, and it should), then the one doing the leasing cannot be leasing anything he or she doesn't have. If someone thinks or want's to give the impression that they own the whole coast's waters when they don't, then they're the ones doing the trespassing or being the pirates, right, and such shouldn't hold up in a court of law? That's all I'm saying. Why throw away what you're entitled to?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, if you recover anything older than 50 years old in state waters, and outside of a lease that you hold you will still be in violation of the law. The only legal way to do this is to get a lease from the state (good luck), or become a subcontractor for someone who holds a valid salvage lease from the state of Florida.

Tom

OP
OP
islandwheels

islandwheels

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
At least one could look for stuff less than 50 years old, lost scuba gear (most of which is mine), lost surfer jewelry, etc.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
islandwheels said:
At least one could look for stuff less than 50 years old, lost scuba gear (most of which is mine), lost surfer jewelry, etc.

Yep, I do it all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread