Hanna approaches - how should I plan my hunt?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

So it looks like Hanna is projected to go directly over the beach here. WOOT! We have been so sanded in this summer it is not funny.

So, my question is, what is the recommended method for hunting around a storm like this? Should I go during, or immediatly after, or wait til the first low tide after?

Im sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I have some theories about it from thinking it through, but, I am a :newbie: and want to know what the pros suggest.

Thank you in advance for your input,
Anthony

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, I will be waiting to hear what goodies you find, we here on the jersey coast are supposed to see some major beach erosion saturday.. so I will be waiting n watching as well..

good luck to ya big time.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish my arm was not in a sling ............i may swing this weekend if this storm hits the beach ... and have someone else dig ...3 years ago . we found about $60.00 each in silver from a storm here in nj . not counting the gold . they filled in the beach with sand from the surf ...3 days of super detecting day and night .............pine out

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Narthoniel said:
Hello,

So it looks like Hanna is projected to go directly over the beach here. WOOT! We have been so sanded in this summer it is not funny.

So, my question is, what is the recommended method for hunting around a storm like this? Should I go during, or immediatly after, or wait til the first low tide after?

Im sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I have some theories about it from thinking it through, but, I am a :newbie: and want to know what the pros suggest.

Thank you in advance for your input,
Anthony
Wait till the storm blows itself out for the most part, then hit the area hard, before the tides start to wash away the cuts and before anyone else can get out there.

Better yet, just wait till the worst of the storm passes, then get out there when you feel it's safe. But stay under cover till then! No ring is worth getting hurt over!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Went to Croatan and the Oceanfront this morning. Was at Croatan from 9:30 to 12:30, found a few quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, a key, the leg of off some kids toy, an earring, lots of what appears to be rusted and crusted wire, possibly fencing...it was EVERYWHERE. You could not swing without finding a piece!!! (this was on the surfer's side). At the Oceanfront, found a dime as soon as I got on the sand, a matchbox car and 2 nickels as I was leaving the beach. Oh, found a few pennies too.

Both beaches are so high with new sand, it's not funny anymore. A guy I work with has a friend that cleans the beaches with those machines each morning. He said his friend, they use to be able to keep all the stuff they found, now the city requires them to turn it all in. He said he's found rings, change, watches, glasses...but they can't keep it anymore. I am wondering, what does the city do with these items?

Anyways, I left at 2 pm, as it started raining, and the surf was building up. I hope Hanna and possibly Ike and Josephine (depending if they come our way or we are affected in any way by them), strip the beach of that sand and push some in from the water with lots of finds.

I am thinking of heading out Monday, but the kids have a dentist appt...I might try after they are done. But as to when to go...I really don't know...I just hope after Hanna leaves, she leaves us more than erosion!!!

Maybe I'll see you out there this time!!! I always come on around 19th/20th street and depending on my mood, if I go right or left!! ;D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ron and Ann said:
Went to Croatan and the Oceanfront this morning. Was at Croatan from 9:30 to 12:30, found a few quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, a key, the leg of off some kids toy, an earring, lots of what appears to be rusted and crusted wire, possibly fencing...it was EVERYWHERE. You could not swing without finding a piece!!! At the Oceanfront, found a dime as soon as I got on the sand, a matchbox car and 2 nickels as I was leaving the beach. Oh, found a few pennies too.

Both beaches are so high with new sand, it's not funny anymore. A guy I work with has a friend that cleans the beaches with those machines each morning. He said his friend, they use to be able to keep all the stuff they found, now the city requires them to turn it all in. He said he's found rings, change, watches, glasses...but they can't keep it anymore. I am wondering, what does the city do with these items?

Anyways, I left at 2 pm, as it started raining, and the surf was building up. I hope Hanna and possibly Ike and Josephine (depending if they come our way or we are affected in any way by them), strip the beach of that sand and push some in from the water with lots of finds.

I am thinking of heading out Monday, but the kids have a dentist appt...I might try after they are done. But as to when to go...I really don't know...I just hope after Hanna leaves, she leaves us more than erosion!!!

Maybe I'll see you out there this time!!! I always come on around 19th/20th street and depending on my mood, if I go right or left!! ;D
I'd bet the auction them off, sort of like they do with seized items from drug busts.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
af1733 said:
Ron and Ann said:
Went to Croatan and the Oceanfront this morning. Was at Croatan from 9:30 to 12:30, found a few quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, a key, the leg of off some kids toy, an earring, lots of what appears to be rusted and crusted wire, possibly fencing...it was EVERYWHERE. You could not swing without finding a piece!!! At the Oceanfront, found a dime as soon as I got on the sand, a matchbox car and 2 nickels as I was leaving the beach. Oh, found a few pennies too.

I'd bet the auction them off, sort of like they do with seized items from drug busts.

that is what I was thinking too...or keeping them theirselfs!!! I would like to think that they would look in the classifieds to see if anyone lost anything, but that might be wishful thinking!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ron and Ann said:
af1733 said:
Ron and Ann said:

that is what I was thinking too...or keeping them theirselfs!!! I would like to think that they would look in the classifieds to see if anyone lost anything, but that might be wishful thinking!
Shoot, you're right, it'd be nice, but I wouldn't put it past 'em to hang onto it for themselves!

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I check the classifieds and craigs list for lost items fairly regularly. VERY few people ever bother to post things are missing. After all I have found, and seen found, its amazing really.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Bootybay said:
Oh wow, I will be waiting to hear what goodies you find, we here on the jersey coast are supposed to see some major beach erosion saturday.. so I will be waiting n watching as well..

good luck to ya big time.
I have my rain gear already in the car. Gonna be watching it as well. If it's storming all night long I'll be out there early.
HH, Mike in NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions