treasure coast beach detecting

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
i hunt the 1715 fleet, mostly nieves site(douglas and brooks).when i started i purchased a minelab sovereign.i am very disappointed w/it.sometimes i can find a needle@8" and other times it falses so bad you have to take the headphones off. i'm in the market for a new detector.all you 1715 pro's out there; what is the best beach/shallow water machine? thanks, keegah

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look back in the posts here on this site you will see that this question has been asked several times. You wil find that when it is asked, most people will tell you that the detector that they are using is the best. Therein lies your answer.

There is no best detector. There is only the best detector for you. You obviously have found one that does not fit what you are looking for so that eliminates one. Unless you have a ton of money, I would not suggest that you buy what we recommend. If you do that, you may go through three or four more before you hit the homerun you are looking for.

I have said time and time again that a person looking for the Silver Bullet, Gold at the End of the Rainbow, etc., in a detector needs to make a list of what they want in a detector. What is important to you? You should give it lots of thought and then write these things down. Then start reading every user review, etc., you can about all of the beach a water machines. Write down what you hear that you like about them and what you hear that you don't. Compile this list on every machine then go back to your original list of what you are looking for in a machine. Your answer will be there somewhere in your lists. There will be one or two machines that will have much of what you are looking for and there will be several that will have much of what you are not looking for.

Nobody on here can tell you the best. My pic was an Infinium for water and a Sovereign for dry sand. Pretty amazing that these are two totally different machines but there was a reason. I tailored my pick to the lists I made which was also tailored to the areas that I normally hunt.

Make that list of what you want in a machine, do lots of reading for several days on reveiws of all the machines and articles where people have written about them. Stay with the major name brands and you will find your answer.

Good Luck,

DaChief

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a new Cz 21 For sale Cheap Guzz :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill take the Gt off your hands, How much? I have two already,I just came from that same beach today,Had no problems at all.But i will give yours a good home..............Cotton

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the GT rocks I would never never part with mine. If it falses take your coil cover off if using one and try that. If using the auto sens. take that off as well, if all else fails then check your wires. I have never had a problem with mine falsing

Beachcomber310

Mar 18, 2007
South Jersey
Personally I love the GT for Beach hunting. It's the best Sov Minelab has built. I have two and would never part with them. That said if you are hunting a beach that has a lot of rusty iron in it then the GT can get a bit noisey...especially wif you have the Ironmask turned "On". Try hunting with the Ironmask turned "Off'. Even with the Ironmask off the GT will still reject iron but it will be much quieter. An added bonus to hunting with the Ironmask Off is that if you are hunting a beach that isn't really trashy you can hunt with a higher level of sensitivity than you could with it turned on and get more depth! I pretty much never hunt with the Ironmask turned on anymore. Hope this helps!

HH

Beachcomber

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your hunting the wet/dry sand down to the water line you already have the best beach machine ;D.

I have 2 Sovereign GT's, and one of them has been water proofed for use in the surf, it is my primary salt water machine.

Where are you setting your sence setting when you hunt the beach? If your using auto on the sense, turn it down till it is stable. Is your Iron reject on or off? If you are using a coil cover how often do you clean it? I never use a coil cover on the beach, my waterproofed GT has epoxy on the coil, my land GT, I remove the coil cover to hunt the beach......

If your sure your going to sell the GT, you will have no problem finding a buyer for it.

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
i took the coil cover off.have fiddled w/the sensitivity, threshold, iron mask. it seems to be getting worse.the battery is fully charged.had it out tonite south of douglas and i gave up on it. i live across from the beach and it just seems random.i dont know if its heavy mineralization or a -bad machine.i'm stumped. when it works i can detect a pin in 8"/penny@10-14", but when it whacks out,there doesnt seem to be any setting that will stabilize it.turned down sensitivity,up discrimination; just can't get a good solid tone.i'm buffaloed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have two of them and they are great at the beach. They are my primary beach machine. They will false occasionally if there is a electricial interference, a lot of black sand or I have it turned up too high.

Try to see if you can find someone in your area who also uses the Sovereign and let them look at it, it may have a problem.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I just got the Minlab E-trac. And I am very happy with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread