About the Surfmaster PI

R

Raptor

Anyone have good or bad info on it? I want to do some salt water beach and water hunting and I was offered a new one from a local vendor for a hair over $400. Seems like a good deal and I don't mind digging everything, I have an XLT for land use so it would mainly be just water and a spare for a friend to use on ocassion. Any info woud be appreciated before I pick it up on the 27th.

One more thing, would I be better off going with a sand shark? Any preference between the two? I could probably get one of those in the same range as well.

-Mike

Upvote 0

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
i just bought a pi i have about 5 hours on it if you don't mind digging everything its a good machine i have found 1 ring 2 toe rings and 4 earring's and lots of nickels on just five hours but i tried it in my back yard and would not coin shoot with it there is one good note on this pi is that i have not dug one piece of FOIL. but you get the tabs and bottle caps but i am yet to dig a piece of foil

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 350
  • pifinds.JPG
    pifinds.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 353
  • pifinds.JPG
    pifinds.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
R

Raptor

Thanks for the info, sounds like I better get a longer digging tool to go with it. The one I use now won't go deeper than about 7" without being in past the handle. I was planning on saving the coin shooting for the XLT anyway so thats fine.

BTW, Very nice finds!

-Mike

OP
OP
R

Raptor

I have decided to go with the Tesoro Sand Shark after all the reading and checking out the detectors in person. I am going to order it in the morning. I like the ability to change coils and the lifetime warranty. Also, it seems to get more positive reviews from all the reading I have been doing. Not much more money either. Thanks for the info on the surfmaster.

OP
OP
R

Raptor

I am pretty stoked about it, I created a new tool to use underwater, pics will be up in a few hours. I will definately keep you all posted on the finds.

-Mike

OP
OP
R

Raptor

The Sand Shark showed up today, pretty excited to get out and use it. I picked up a bunch of stuff to snorkel created that sand screw I posted about in the techniques area. So I should be setup for some fun water hunting this weekend. I will let you know how it turned out. I wil say I like the unit so far, it is very rugged and apears to be well designed. Hopefully it performs well.

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
best of luck to you let us know how it is in the water.......is it heavy...... dose the coil float.....dose it leak......dose it find coins,pull tabs,foil,rings,bottle caps,milk top's,beer can's,charm's,watches,necklaces,toy car's,toe ring's,pendent's,unknown metal thing's,candy rappers,bullets,shell casein's,batteries,pins,sun glasses,lighters,screws,nails,nuts,bolts,did i say pull tabs well lets us know how you like it.. H H ;D

OP
OP
R

Raptor

Well, first use of it today. It is an amazing thing. Very accurate, easy pinpointing. But it as expected is only for underwater use or a clean beach unless you like digging everything. Personally in the water I will always dig everything. It picked up ever bobby pin, breatd tie, quarter, penny, pull tab and some very tiny fragments of a sparkler from the fourth, all under water and very easy to pinpoint. I am really happy with this thing, I didn't get to spend too much time out there, I hadn't picked up a wet suit and it was pretty chile in the water. I got one so I am going out longer tomorrow. The machine is very easy to handle, doesn't float around at all and definately doesn't leak. It is exactly what I wanted a water machine to do. Couldn't be happier in that respect ;)

-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread