Curious Beach Hunt

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I took a few days and headed to the beach. We figured now was a good time as the beaches would be pretty empty, and we were right. Everyone has gone back to work and school making detecting easier.

She hit the dry sand and I hit the wet sand and surf. I'm really surprised at how little there is out there this year. Even some of the regulars on the forums aren't showing or even telling much about this years hunts.

Most of the finds were the usual junk of pull tabs, bottle caps, bobbie pins, batteries, rusty nails, nuts and bolts, sparkler wires and assorted trash. We did get a couple of dollars in change. I had a solid hit in the wet sand and had to dig down about 10" to pull out this ear ring. When I saw it in the scoop I thought it was a bracelet until I rinsed more of the mud off of it and saw the open end. There are no markings on it and it weighs in at 10 gr.

errtn.jpg

These next items are strange and we need help identifying what they are. What makes them strange is that I found two and my wife found one, all on different areas of the beach. She found hers up in the dry sand, I found one in the wet sand a couple of hundred yards away from her. I then found another a couple of hundred yards away from that, again in the wet sand about 6" deep.

They look like small cookie cutters. The top has a smooth edge on it. The bottom edge is plain metal but not sharp to the touch. They are all manufactured the same and painted blue. They do not fit one inside of the other making them all the same size. The ruler is so you can see the size of these things.

whatzittn.jpg

If anyone has any ideas as to what they are, we'd sure like to know. Thanks for your help.

I have received responses on another forum from people from Maine to Alabama and places in between that have found these items and no one seems to know what they are. This ones going to be a real puzzler and I think some internet research may be in order. If I find an answer I'll be sure to post it so everyone will know if they find one in the future. Thanks for all the input, jokeingly or otherwise.

Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

They're molds for making the pointy things on top of the sand castles :thumbsup:
Glenn

Nice hunt!

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice big gold earring! I'd hate to see the length of the ear that came off of! :D

My guess on the other items is chair leg inserts of some sort. Kind of like casters for outdoor chairs, but they didn't work in the sand. Beyond that guess, no telling!

Lookin

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I have also found several of these green things on Cape Cod beaches over the past couple of years. I also thought they were cookie cutters that some parent brought to the beach for their kid to use in the sand, but someone recently told me that they come off of beach chairs.

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
Your right it was not a great summer at the Beach. i read the crowds at the beach were down 50% this year. I did pretty good between 5/25 to 7/10. After that i found 8 pieces of gold all summer.
Lt

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
lowtones said:
Your right it was not a great summer at the Beach. i read the crowds at the beach were down 50% this year. I did pretty good between 5/25 to 7/10. After that i found 8 pieces of gold all summer.
Lt
well gee! only 8 pieces of gold? :tongue3: good job!

au4me2

Sep 8, 2007
Ma.
Detector(s) used
Depends on what Im looking for!
Matt, I believe they go bait bags for lobstermen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread